Notifications
Clear all

Redemption song intro need help!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kisag123)
Topic starter  

Hello, i started practicing acoustic guitar a few days ago (and i dont know much about guitar), and right now i am trying to do the redemption song instrumental intro by bob marley:

youtube.com/watch?v=WUuVKn7_aEQ

But the thing is that i cant make the sound to work...

For the very first note to play, it seems i need to hit the 3rd fret on the first string with my left hand, along with strumming the first string with the right hand at the same time (if that makes sense xD )

Well, i just cant make it to work, i might not do it right i guess, but by touching the first string with my left hand and strumming the first string with my right hand, the sound just doesnt play.. So how exactly should i be playing this? From what i see in the videos, this is how it is played, but when i do it, my left hand finger on the first string block the sounds from playing...

Any help for a newbie would be very appreciated :)
So how do you do it exactly? Id love to learn to do this song intro as this is one of my favorite, thanks!

(@alangreen)

That's the 6th string, actually. Musicians count from the highest pitch downwards.

You are holding the string down firmly on the neck, aren't you? If you just touch the string you mute it; to get a sound out you have to hold the string down on the neck to create a vibrating length of string from the fret to the bridge.

Secondly - and I find this with a lot of the children I teach - make sure your finger is close to the fret wire but not touching it. If your finger is directly above the fret wire you get the same muting problems from the bit of your finger which is bridge-side of the fret.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kisag123)
Topic starter  

It works !! thanks you very much for your help and time to respond, this is helping me very much actually! i took days trying to figure it out lol :) This is exactly what i was doing wrong.

ReplyQuote