Notifications
Clear all

remembering chords

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@hanging-chord)
Estimable Member

One way I've found to help the (mental) learning curve is to get your barre-ing technique up to at least passable. This will allow you to play a lot more chords without having to memorize so many different shapes. Know how to play A7 but not B7? No problem, just play A7 barred on the 2nd fret. I've found that I can play most any chord I want within the first 5 frets just by memorizing 3 shapes of each type (C,E, and A major; D, E, and A minor; D7, E7, and A7; etc.).

Eventually you'll want to learn more shapes to get different voicings for each chord to fine-tune your sound, but that can happen gradually over time.

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Good Point!

Seriously though, I think the OP will have got over any 'memory blues' they may have had. Trying to land a chord over and over, or trying to play a song for hours tends to get the chord shapes ingrained very very quickly! The problem is then transferred over to 'How can I remember the order of chords in a song?'

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

To then to be followed by the "how do I remember ALL the words to ALL those songs?" question.

Playing guitar is just one problem after another :-)
!

The problem is then transferred over to 'How can I remember the order of chords in a song?'

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

....and then you gotta remember the lyrics. That's a whole other can of worms for me.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kroikey)
Reputable Member

Remember to hold the pick correctly
Remember the chords
Remember the progression
Remember the rythmn
Remember to keep the strumming going
Remember the lyrics
Remember the melody
Remember the solo
Remember to smile :)

Not much to remember! :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Sadly, to remember chords an fingering takes, gulp, study. What you say? Study like when you were in high school and had to remember all kinds of stuff? Yep.

Study is the way. Take ten minutes a day to study/analyze chord fingerings or even positions. Print the literature and bring it to work. I did. I even printed and put the stuff in my can and looked at it at stoplights!

By printing lit and studying it in your down-time, lunch, or whenever will be a MAJOR way to learn.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2