Clear all

Replaced Strings - Higher frets 'clacky' or jumping pitch

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@danmee)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I just replaced my strings but I've noticed that on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd strings the tone becomes harsh and 'clicky' or twangy higher up on the fretboard (9th fret and higher). Also, on the high e string, the note jumps to a dead-sounding super-high pitch after fret 13 - instead of going from f to f#.

My suspicion is that this is a common result of a poor string change, since I'm very new to it. Any help on what this is?

Cheers

DanMee

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Did you replace your strings with a set of the same gauge (thickness) as the old ones?

If you made a change in the thickness of your strings, it can cause canges to the neck relief, and affect the space between the strings and the top of the frets.
Does this sound like what might have happened?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@danmee)
Topic starter  

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right that it's the action. It's got a 'wrap-around' bridge which falls off easily when you take the strings off. I was under the impression that the two large bolts or screws either side of the bridge were to be tightened to secure the wrap-around bridge.

But I understand that actually those screws lower/raise the string from the frets, so it seems I've lowered the higher strings right down to the fretboard. I'll be able to check it tomorrow and try to put it right. Thanks again.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's a page from PRS guitars that talks about adjusting bridge height.
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Yours is probably similar to the second example.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote