Clear all

Requesting Advise

15 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sowterg)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

im not an absulte begiiner ive been playin over a year now and got into my electric guitar but losing touch with the acustic ive learned things like metal funk bluesfunk and solo method but have not lernt andy chords for a while sept power chords . i dont want to lose touch with my acustic becuse i like old 60-80s songs i like the unque fell and sound of the acustic but i am good with solo method but i dont wanna just now lead i wanna get more in touch with my rythem i have no problem with arpegios or bends or vibrato or even legato(multi pull offs). i do need to learn the scales and currently learnig pentatnic scales im learning the am pentatonic scle but also need to learn my keys band my sheet muscic but i have dvd with solo method and i learn more qukly off dvd and off a site called http://www.freelicks.net but my sheet music is in book and is hard to bring myself to sit down and learn freom book i do btter listenin. i cud use some advice and if enyone could piont me in the direction of a dvd that teachs sheet musci would be nice.

Its the choices you make that diffines you as a person.

(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

I remember reading about how you could take out most of the letters in words and paragraphs and still be able to read what someone was writing. And darned it it doesn't work. Anyways, here is a short listing of things you can find at Musician's Friend and probably at your local Guitar Center. In fact I was just at a Guitar Center and they have lot of DVD's and books with CD's to help you learn most anything. I didn't specificially see anything for learning sheet music but it should be there. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=read+music Otherwise, I'd go into the local Barnes and Noble to look at their selection. I found a nice new book called Guitar Scale Guru for less than 15 bucks and besides scales it does music notation along the way. Good luck.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@sowterg)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thx for the advise plus i think i now wat u mean i read somthing about pshcolgy when you read your brain doesnt register evry letter thats how people somtimes miss read things after nowing how to read for like 15 years or watever ,exm. H ve a ni e d y what do you thinka that sentence says?

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

On the subject of instructional DVDs though.....I've tried a couple of the Lick Library ones (see their website HERE) and they seem quite good. There are some samples on their web site so you can see what they are like before you go buying them.

Catsworth's Tight-wad Tip: I belong to an online DVD rental club (I'm in the UK, so it's probably not worth mentioning which one). The idea is that for a fixed monthly fee you can borrow 2 DVDs at a time for as long as you like, send them back when you're done and they send you a couple more. Most people only use these clubs to rent feature films but I've currently got over 40 different guitar tuition DVDs in my rental queue :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@sowterg)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

well actuly it would matter to me becuse im in the uk i live in derby. but yeh enyway i have bout a dvd its on rythm guitar and solo method,it contains funk,bluesfunk,fingerstyle,heavy metal,harmoics(artifical harmonics natural harmics distorted natrual harminics,advance natrul harmonics whammy6 harmnics) it has a section to help people with solso problems and it has some therory some bend and slide excsises and some pentatonic scales.that has realy helped me so far i have no problem with soloing,i havnt got to the harmoics yet well i tried them but nedd tp pratcice them im on gallop riffs at the moment ( heavy metal) but ive siad before i realy need to get into my acustic guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

Great tip catsworth! I didn't think of that....

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Catsworth - thanks, that's the thing I was trying to reference/remember. It's fascinating and probably one of the reasons why proof reading can sometimes be so hard. Your brain can read something perfectly well and so mistakes can be zoomed over by the brain. I know sometimes I would read things backwards to catch mistakes and now that makes perfect sense. Brains are amazing.

And in what is probably a related problem is the ability to understand the information on how to play the guitar. There is learning by reading and/or by watching and listening. Plus there is the problem of actually understanding the way some information is presented. All the information you might want or need in order to learn how to play guitar is right online somewhere. It's a matter of being able to relate the information offered in a way you can understand it. I think that if you announce to yourself that you can't understand something that is written down then you won't ever be able to understand something that is written down. Anyways, don't completely discount something written, who knows, the author might be the one who is able to present the information in a way you can understand, that's what I'm always hoping for every time I open up a new book and look through it.

So anyways, there is always a library to check out, sometimes they actually have dvd's. For theory there is a nice little site -www.musictheory.net to peek at. As for what you've written there, (squints one eye, covers the other) I can't quite make it out. Of course I'm not much of a Wheel of Fortune guy either. :-) But never fear, as long as you're trying to learn things you'll be moving forward.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

Hey Catsworth,
that was a really interesting post, thanks for that, I read it and had no trouble whatsoever. Interestingly enough they teach "whole words" in schools these days obviously for the reason you describe, in my day it was phonetics. I think the problem with whole words is that it doesnt help you learn how to spell. And also I think that people with more analytical minds probably learn better using phonetics.

cheers

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Catsworth's Tight-wad Tip: I belong to an online DVD rental club (I'm in the UK, so it's probably not worth mentioning which one). The idea is that for a fixed monthly fee you can borrow 2 DVDs at a time for as long as you like, send them back when you're done and they send you a couple more. Most people only use these clubs to rent feature films but I've currently got over 40 different guitar tuition DVDs in my rental queue :)

Great TIP Catsworth. Here in the US it is called Netflix. I never thought about looking to see if they had instructional DVD's as well as movies. It would be a great way to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

As for the spelling/language thing. I've read all the theory. I believe that language is an evolving entity. I also believe that standards exist for a reason. My 16 year old son passed through a school system where in the early grades any kind of correction in his spelling or grammer or writing style was considered taboo as it would stifle his growth and undermine his self confidence and self esteem. At 16 his spelling, grammer, writing style and penmanship are awful. The real world awaits and "they" won't give a rats rear about his self esteem and confidence. I tried doing my due diligence as a parent but it was an uphill battle. I guess I've transgressed into the realm of "old foagy" at the ripe old age of 46.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

what i know about learning is that there are different learning styles. some people learn things better by reading about them, some people need to do the thing in question to learn it better, some people can read pictures better, some people prefer open environments, some structured environments, etc. etc.

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

mikey, I know exactly where your comming from :)

Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Well Mikey and pbee, every time any school system tried that 'self esteem' stuff on my son I always raised holy heck. Whenever they wanted to take the easy way and put him in easy classes I would raise holy heck. I sent my son to kindergarten knowing how to read and learning how to write and didn't leave it to a sometimes indifferent school to make sure my boy was learning what I thought he needed to know. It was work, it was difficult and bothersome and time consuming but I hawkeyed my son through school, sometimes being a real pain and whenever he might have been inclined to slack off and not remember how important school was to him and his future, I would raise holy heck. :-) It just always seemed to me that I wanted the best for my son and the schools would sometimes just want to pass him through. In that calculation I would never take the school's word for it and nobody else should either. Now my son is a straight A, third year Engineering student on scholarship who plays piano better than Yanni (music lessons from an early age) and who thanks me all the time for staying on his case and making schooling important. That's my two cents.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

That's more like a quarter's worth! :D And I applaud your efforts and your ethics!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

Well.....for those in the UK I can recommend LoveFilm.

I actually use Sainsburys but they don't appear to be promoting their service any more, LoveFilm however do all of the work for Sainsburys rentals anyway so you should get the same service. They're offering a free three week trial at the moment so you should be able to try it out and see how you get on :)

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

thx for the advise plus i think i now wat u mean i read somthing about pshcolgy when you read your brain doesnt register evry letter thats how people somtimes miss read things after nowing how to read for like 15 years or watever ,exm. H ve a ni e d y what do you thinka that sentence says?

Please bear in mind, however, that we are an international community and that not all of our members are native speakers of English. Correct spelling, or at least an attempt at correct spelling, is a courtesy that benefits all and perhaps is a bit more welcoming toward non-native speakers.

Thanks.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote