Resuming Lessons

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, its been a few months since I stopped taking lessons. I had come to a point where I wasnt seriously practicing the things the teacher was giving me. I was more into the lessons I was learning here at GN. Well, I got three great songs under my belt from doing that and now I am starting lessons again.

It will be from the same instructor. Me and Wes (The instructor) have a terrific working relationship. Hes very patient and funny, but he knows what he's doing and he pushes you to be better. Wes is a terrific jazz guitarist and although i am not into listening to jazz, I love listening to him play jazz. Hes a terrific rock guitarist too.

Anyways, so I am re-starting lessons tomorrow and I want to go in with some goals this time. But I really dont have specific goals. I wanna be a terrific guitarist. But i realize that is going to take time, especially since guitar isnt my first priority (Kids, work, etc). I couldnt even tell Wes who my favorite guitarist is because i listen to so many different genres of music, it really depends.

I guess I am a little worried that without specific goals, I am going to be too flighty and not really get good at any one thing. I do have one goal. At the beginning of the year I set out to learn atleast 10 fingerpicked Christmas seasonal tunes this year. Three down, seven to go. Maybe I can branch off of that? How specific do my goals need to be? Whats the difference between a study goal and a regular desire? Am I making any sense?

I have now officially been playing guitar for one year now and i am SO satisfied with my progress. Thats the positive note to this "song".

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@alangreen)

Well, I think you need to be reasonably specific. The aim to get 10 fingerpicked seasonal tunes nailed is ideal, you just need to work out what tunes and what level you're realistically going to aspire to. Otherwise, you could find you end up with 9 no-brainers and the Concerto de Aranjuez (so to speak).

Talk the goals through with your tutor. He'll know what's a resonable level to aim for because he's heard you play before.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Awesome Geoo,

I too recently started lessons again. I won't go into why I stopped in the first place. I hear what your asking, I too asked my self that, but my new teacher has a great style and asked some good questions and we're still sorta in the "Feel" stage.

One of the things I brought/thought of was to work on my weakness'. One being that dredded "F" Chord, (not the barre version). And my Barre Chords, I've avoided them like the plague. He also noticed a few common bad habits.

He asked why I'm not stronger with the "F" and the Barres and I honestly told him I avoid them like the plaque.. I don't practice and need to find a way that would allow me to "GO there" with them. So far with about 4 different exercises I'm happy to say I'm much, much more comfy with the "F" chord now and I don't feel like I need to "shy" away from it.

My point I guess is now that I've been playing about a year and a half, I'm able to recognize some of my own weakness and admit them and he's helping me to strengthen them and its a thrill so far.

I'm willing to look at those things I'm not so good at and slowly build up to them... I learned this from learning new songs and now I understand HOW I learn, taking things one baby step at a time and keep "drilling on them" and slowly building and stringing all the parts together.

Just last week I showed him how far I've come with Led Zepps "Rain Song" (On my own.. its been a month maybe) and he was totally impressed, but the fact that I know where I'm at in this song and I keep getting a little bit farther every week with it is a Huge Success, as its one of my all time Favs.

Keep plugging, if you haven't yet, you will hit a slump... soon! Its OK, I've hit like 3 now.. and everytime I come out the other side so much farther than I thought. During those times, I go back to my beginner books and find some other drills to work on and I'm amazed how far I've come in such a short period of time. :)

Cheers
D-

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the comments. The lesson went terrific!! I showed him a couple of the fingerpicked songs I had taught myself and so we began "Dust In The Wind" which is one of my all time favorite songs. But he's using it to teach me how to properly fingerpick and break some of the bad habits I taught myself.

I learned so much on my own while I was away from him but I am so happy to be back.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Dust In the Wind is a very impressive song.

I once read an article in a Guitar magazine that impressed me. The writer said that he did not particularly like to practice technique. If there was a particular technique he wanted to improve at, he would learn a song that uses that technique. I liked that idea, because I have always been more interested in playing songs than practicing scales, or techniques like hammer-ons or tapping, etc....

And I don't think a person necessarily has to pick a certain style of music either. If you like Country, learn some Country songs. If you like Rock, learn some Rock.

I guess what I am trying to say is learn songs you enjoy that will develop your skills. Right now, learning Dust In the Wind is perfect. You like it, and you are developing your fingerpicking skills. So I would say to continue to look for songs you like that develop other skills as well.

I don't think learning a variety of songs and techniques is bad at all. Look at Jimmy Page. He can play Blues, Rock, Country, acoustic, fingerpick, play slide, open tunings, he can do everything. So obviously he spent a lot of time working on many different styles and techniques. I think it just makes you that much better and well-rounded.

Learning ten songs by Christmas is a great goal.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote