Reverse On electric

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys,
I have been long planning to buy a strat copy guitar.Now if you know i am left handed , can i play the electric just by reversing the strings.I have asked this question to a lot of people but hardly got any good help.Like
won't the higher frets by difficult to reach if i reverse the strings.Or won't i have to meddle with the headstock?Leftys are really expensive.... :shock:

Thanks for your help :)

(@illicit)
Estimable Member

Well, Cobain did it. And Hendrix too, maybe? Not too sure about that, though. But it can be done.

Behold! The great northern viking's pinnacle of evolution! Behold my wavy blonde locks, my icy blue eyes and my muscular physique! Behold my.. screw this, I'm going to McDonald's.

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member

My roomate did it. Biggest problem will be the nut. You might want to flip it around. But after that it is no big deal. Just readjust your intonation and you will be fine.

Shibby

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I am also a lefty and bought a Strat copy from Adirondack Guitars on the internet. A bought this beginner package:

http://www.adirondackguitar.com/lefty/samick/mb1LH_package.htm

They also have many other lefty guitars. I think you can find reasonably priced lefties via the internet but perhaps shipping to your location is prohibitive.

I never restrung a righty but it can be done (even if it's a less than ideal solution).

Good luck!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think you got the answer that it can be done however, there are a few things that have to be done or are a problem. Some of which have already been mentioned.

1st Obviously is reversing the strings

2nd You will need to reverse the nut.

3rd It will need a full setup since the bridge height and intonation adjustments will be way off.

4th The pick guard will be on the top.

5th Headstock will be upside down which matters from an appearance point of view on a strat or tele.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Now after all those nice replys :? i am making up my good mind to buy a left handed fender or squire standard stratocaster.I will save it up for it , long long time...... :(

But i will get it no matter , (yeah my classical is screaming to me ' now u just come back and play me.... :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

You might want to check Rondo Music? On his web site, he has strat copy left handed guitar for $99.99 I would imagine the quality of the guitar is probably similar to a Squire?

http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitarleft.html

ReplyQuote