Clear all

Right Hand Accuracy

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Anyone know of any exercises to improve accuracy of hitting the right strings (and not hitting the wrong ones) with the right hand when picking leads?

I've just started studying lead guitar a few months ago and the right hand seems to be my biggest challenge. I feel like if I could hit the right strings I'd learn some of the licks I'mworking on a whole lot faster.

Also, my teacher says I'm not supposed to look at my right hand but instead focus on the left. So that beingb the case I needto learn how to hit the strings without looking.

Thought there might be some exercises out there that folks have found helpful in this area. Thanks.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Just to add to this question, in case it wasn't already implied...what can you do to improve the accuracy of chords that use notes only on the middle strings (ie you shouldn't strum the low or high E string)?

THanks.
Mart.

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

it's a practice thing...I would think doing arpeggios (single notes picked from chords) and doing scales would help. Other than that, fiddle around with your guitar when your watching TV or whatever(unplugged I would assume) to get a feel for it.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

"Right hand" covers a lot of possibilities.

Do you mean using a pick, thumb strumming, picking with a thumb and one, two, or three fingers, or what?

When I was spending a lot of time learning chords I used to tilt the guitar a little and watch my fingers. I'd do it all very slowly, concentrating in accuracy, and then gradually speed it up.

The ultimate aim was to play by feel not sight. So I now don't tilt the guitar or watch the left hand much. It knows where to go. 8)

I imagine the same applies to working on the right hand. If you miss a lot, slow down, watch what's happening and don't speed up until it's working well enough to move on.

The more you practice the better you'll be able to just feel where your hand is located in relation to the strings. Eventually you'll also start to be able to "hear" where your hand is. In other words when one note sounds you'll subconsciously get a cue about the distance to the next note.

Good luck. :)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I'm gonna have to hang with JasonColucci on this one. When I was playing years ago I could pick a single or multiple strings out with no problem, it's just a matter of practice. Now of course after not playing for almost 10 years I have a few problems doing that but it is comming. It takes lots' of practice.

I hate posting my own bad habits but I never play with my picking hand in the fist mode and a lot of the time my pinky touches on the high E giving me a gauge as to where the other strings are.

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Do you mean using a pick, thumb strumming, picking with a thumb and one, two, or three fingers, or what?

I was specifically referring to picking strings with a pick.

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

I feel your pain. I am fairly decent at fingerpicking but plectrum picking just kills me. I try to practice this exercise everyday which only focuses on the right hand. I am pretty sure someone on this board actually recommended this exercise to me.

E------------------------------------------0--------------------------------
B-------------------------------0----------------0--------------------------
G---------------------0----------------------------------0-------------------
D--------------0------------------------------------------------0------------
A------0---------------------------------------------------------------0-----
E--0------0-------0-------0---------0-------0-------0-------0-----0------0--

Always make sure you stick to proper alternate pickking. I believe you should hit the E string with a down stroke and the rest of the strings with an upstroke. Then...

E-----------------------------------0--------------------------------------------
B----------------------------0-------------0-------------------------------------
G---------------------0---------------------------0------------------------------
D--------------0-----------------------------------------0-----------------------
A--0------0------0------0------0------0------0------0-----0--------------------
E-----0---------------------------------------------------------0-----------------

Then, I repeat anchoring to the D string, then G and so on. Playing regular scales also helps and again make sure you alternate pick. Edit: it is also important to play scales just because you need to coodinate your left and right hands.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I was specifically referring to picking strings with a pick.

Ah. :) Unfortunately I pick with everything but a plectrum, so I don't have any specific tips from personal experience.

Purple's tips sound good though. I've read that it's important to develop the skill of "alternate picking" that he talks about. Sounds like "alternate picking" can mean a few different thing too. I've seen it used to describe a technique where you do one downstroke, then an upstroke, then a downstroke and so on. I've also seen it refer to using alternate fingers.

Maybe it could be worth trying to Google "alternate picking" and see if you can find any specific exercises.

Like this:

Exercise for alternate picking - thanks to Google

Good luck anyway.

ReplyQuote