Clear all

Right hand technique question

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rickardl)
Topic starter  

Hi

I have a question about which right hand technique to use when playing the intro part of Metllica's song Master of Puppets. The part I want to play is the secod part of the intro. For clarification I will include a tab piece here:

|--------------------------------------------------------------------|
|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------54---54---54---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--32-0-32-0-32---|

My question is not really about this song in specific, but it helpes to explain my problem, and it is with this song I have the problem.

The part above part goes a little bit too fast for me, and I have a problem to keep up with the tempo. As I see it you can play this in two ways with your right hand. These are:

1. Start off with a upstroke/downstroke and then alternate between upstrokes and downstrokes.

2. Start off with one upstroke, then two downstrokes. Etc.

The second way seems a bit faster to be since you don't need to move the pick so much up and down, but I have a problem with hitting the notes clear with this approach.

The first way sounds better, but I'm not able to play that one fast enough, but I can play much more accurate with his method.

So my question is which approach you think I should take. I have got a feeling that playing every other upstroke and every other downstroke is a good thing, but sometimes when I'm gonna play things fast it feels like the pick have to move too much up and down.

I hope you can understand what I mean and that you can lead me in the right direction.

/Rickard

(@Anonymous)

Do whichever feels best to you :) Personally I tend to use downstrokes whenever I can, it was a little limiting at first, but now I find I harldy ever have to use an upstroke, I can play fast enough using downstrokes.

My advice is not to try strumming in a different way, but to slow down the tempo of the song.

Learn it at half speed/quater speed, whatever suits you, then once you get the hang of it, speed up a little at a time until you are playing how you want it.

This is how a lot of people learn to play/write complex solo's.

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@silvertone)

Hi
The part above part goes a little bit too fast for me, and I have a problem to keep up with the tempo. /Rickard

Here's some software that I use for making practice cds for my students: http://www.ronimusic.com/

You can slow down a song while retaining the pitch then save as a .wav file to practice along with.

There's a free Trial version but I ended up buying it since it's so helpful and time saving.

silvertone

ReplyQuote
(@rickardl)
Topic starter  

Thanks for you input. I guess I will just keep practicing in the way that sounds most accurate, and then eventually try to play it faster. Maybe it's good to practice with a metronome so that you can actually see that you do some progress in playing faster.

ReplyQuote
(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

|-----2-----3-----4-----3-----2-2-----2-----3------54---54---54---|
|-0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1---0-1-----0-1---0-1---0-0--32-0-32-0-32---|

DD U DD U DD U DD U DD DD DD U DD U DD D/ D D/ D D/

This is how I do it ....each letter goes to each tab number but it's all down down up until you get to 2-2 on the 5th string which is also down down followed by down down the it's down down up again until you get to the powerchords and it's all downs.

ReplyQuote
(@rickardl)
Topic starter  

Thanks shredgeek! I will try your way as soos as I get hold of a guitar. I'm currently not at home and have no access to a guitar where I am now.

ReplyQuote
(@arcmage)
Trusted Member

I would say play it whichever way works best for you. However, according to Kirk Hammett (via a Guitar World article - Jan '06), it is played with all downstokes as are all three riffs to the song that are shown.

ReplyQuote
(@rickardl)
Topic starter  

It seems to me that using all downstrokes will be much harder. I think you should be able to play twice as fast if you use both upstrokes and downstrokes.

For some songs a find it hard to play other than just downstrokes though. When I do that really fast by hand starts to hurt and I can't keep up the speed. Do you know of any excersices that will make my right hand be able to play faster?

ReplyQuote