Clear all

ring finger problems

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@crash1117)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing guitar for about 4 months,and know where most of the main chords are. My problem is trying to get to the next chord quick enough when trying to strum a song. It seems that my index and middle fingers will move together but my ring finger always has to be placed last. Any ideas?

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Crash, your not alone! To me, the ring finger should be one of the strongest ones but it doesn't work out that way for me?

It seems like it always want to move with either the pinky or middle finger and I can't get any stretch out of it. I have trouble bending it at the last knuckle also?

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Sure, this is what I teach:

1. S-l-o-w down. You need to learn that it isn't really where your fingers go, it's what shapes they make. Go so slowly that you can get your fingers into the right position before they hit the string. You want to remember the shape, not the fret/string assignment. Of course you want to know that too, but you get my point.

2. Look to see what is common between the chords. I have a student who lifted her entire hand off the frets to switch between Am and C. When I pointed out only one finger had to move, it was like a light bulb suddenly lit up. Even going from C to G or vice versa, the ring and middle finger should not change shape or even move much. They just shift up a string.

ReplyQuote
(@djbouch)
Eminent Member

I have a tough time with the ring finger as well; however it has gotten much better with time and a lot of practice. I suggest you get a hold of Jamie Andreas' book "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar". He goes over some great exercises that help develop the muscles in your fingers and will help you with your problem.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

I have a tough time with the ring finger as well; however it has gotten much better with time and a lot of practice. I suggest you get a hold of Jamie Andreas' book "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar". He goes over some great exercises that help develop the muscles in your fingers and will help you with your problem.

I've got it! I just started the exercises!

As for the AM to C - I understand that also. The ring finger can't make the strech without touching the D string but I practice that all the time and I can see slight improvement.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

Concentrate on getting your fretting hand as perpendicular to the fretboard as possible, so that your fingers are at 90% to the strings.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

At four months you are probably struggling with technique. Find a teacher and spend the $15 or so for half an hour.

Jamie's stuff is all fine and dandy, but if you have bad technique you will be hamstrung.

Is your thumb somewhere near the middle of the back of the neck?
Is your thumb approximately lining up with your middle finger on the other side?
Does your hand form a cup shape under the neck?
Is there space between your hand and the bottom of the neck?
Are your fingers flat on the neck or do they continue the curved shape of the cup?

A good teacher can point all these things out in a couple of minutes.

ReplyQuote