Clear all

Ringing Strings Problem

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi all, I have noticed a problem that I am not sure how to fix. When I play the high E (6th) string, the low E (1st) string rings with it. I guess it is like a sympathetic vibration? Is there anything I can do to make this better? When I first sound the note it sounds fine, but when I change to a different note, the ringing high string makes it not sound as good.

-- EDIT --
Playing with it some more, the A (5th) string also rings...

(@day-tripper)
Eminent Member

Strings too tight?

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member

What you need to do is place the palm of your hand on all the strings above the strings your playing. This will stop all that extra ringing and extra sounds. After a while this will feel natural. You also use your nonfretting fingers to "still" the strings below the ones your playing.

It will sound SO much cleaner!

Hope this helps.

Stan

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is there a way to check for that? As far as I can tell, the guitar is in tune, so I would assume the strings are at the right amount of tightness. (I am a total newbie to the guitar still, less than 2 weeks of playing).

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What you need to do is place the palm of your hand on all the strings above the strings your playing. This will stop all that extra ringing and extra sounds. After a while this will feel natural. You also use your nonfretting fingers to "still" the strings below the ones your playing.

It will sound SO much cleaner!

Hope this helps.

Stan

Yes, putting my hand against the strings helped very much! I had been trying very hard to not touch the strings that I wasn't trying to play. Now I have to remeber to train myself to do it this way. Thanks! :D

ReplyQuote
(@day-tripper)
Eminent Member

Have you had someone who knows what they're doing tune it?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If the intonation is off you can get more sympathetic ringing than usual so check the intonation.

Also, if the strings are vibrating in the nut it can cause extra ringing of the high e or for that matter the unwound strings. Try lubing the strings in the nut. Pencil lead scraping works good.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

The intonation probably does need some adjustment. The guitar came with a basic digital tuner. When I check the tuning at the 12th fret, the lights kind of "wobble" around the correct light. So I think its probably close but could maybe use some fine tuning. I am hesitant to adjust it because I don't want to break anything...

I will ask my instructor if he can show me how to adjust the intonation when I go for my lesson this weekend.

Thanks for all the tips!

ReplyQuote
(@ebuchednezzar)
Trusted Member

Been having a similar problem recently, and have been trying to practice for awhile with the meat of my hand muting the low strings. Does anyone else find this really uncomfortable? I find my shoulder tensing up a ton because i'm trying to keep my hand from moving away from the strings I want to mute while stretching to pick the high strings.

Any suggestions?

"There's no easy ways man," he said. "You gotta learn the hard parts for yourself."

ReplyQuote
(@mordeth)
Estimable Member

Been having a similar problem recently, and have been trying to practice for awhile with the meat of my hand muting the low strings. Does anyone else find this really uncomfortable? I find my shoulder tensing up a ton because i'm trying to keep my hand from moving away from the strings I want to mute while stretching to pick the high strings.

Any suggestions?

you dont want to actually press down on the strings to keep them quiet, thats only used for palm muting. what you want to try it just letting the side of your hand graze gently along the strings, just enough to stop them ringing out. try to let your hand 'float' across the strings, this way you'll keep things quiet but be easily able to move your hand when you want to pick the higher strings.

This is my signature. Fear it.

ReplyQuote