Rock Chords

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey,
Me and my friends have been writing lyrics lately, and now all I need to do is put a rhythm and chords to it.
We want it to sound rocky, what are the usual chords used in rock music?
I'd also like to make up a solo to it, so how would I go about making one?
Cheers :)
xxx

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Considering your avatar and sig feature BJA of Greenday, I'm assuming that when you say "rocky" you mean similar to how greenday sound, correct?

I don't know if the term "usual rock chords" is accurate, but most modern(ish) punky-rocky sounding groups seem to stick to powerchords such as:

e---------------------
B---------------------
G-------------8-------
D--6----8----8--------
A--6----8----6-------
E--4----6-------------

as these can be played through high distortion and moved to any position on the neck

NB If you didn't already know, its worth noting that

e---------
B---------
G----------
D----8----
A----8---
E----6-----

and

e---------
B---------
G--3------
D--3------
A--1-----
E--------

are the same chord just in a different position

As for creating a solo, I'm sure someone with much more knowledge than I will give you some great info, but from what I understand you have to determine the key you are playing in, and that allows you to sort out which notes work in that key. You can then start arranging these notes accordingly.

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

depends what your looking for.you could do something fairly easy using power and barre chords then maybe find a common minor pentatonic scale that fits your progression the minor pentatonic is quite a common scale used in rock and could be a fairly good starting place for your lead :)

"thats alright baby i still got ma guitar"

ReplyQuote
(@patrick)
Reputable Member

Would it not be useful to think of chords (even power chords which are neither major or minor) in terms of scale degrees? For instance I-IV-V or I-V-vi-IV are common. I'd be interested in knowing the most common rock progressions.

ReplyQuote