Clear all

rock guitar

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm insterested in learning to play rock lead. I have a Squier 51' and its great for learning but once I've got it I want to get something a little better. My friend has a Strat but it doesn't seem to put out the tone for modern rock. So what kind of guitar should I be setting my sights on?

(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

Get a better amp.

People use Fender Stratocaster's all the time now. And WTF is wrong with the Squier '51? It's a damn good guitar and has good tone. Just play around with your current amp, or get a better, more expensive one.

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think you got the wrong idea. Nothing is wrong with the 51' it's a great guitar esp. for a begginer. I just want to know what gives that crazy metal sound. I see a lot of people w/ dual humbuckers and was woundering if that was what I should look for? But I love my 51' and it was cheap.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

If you don't already have one, you might try something like the Boss Metalzone.

As far as guitars; you're right, something with dual humbuckers. An Epiphone Les Paul or SG might do the trick, but then there's a whole bunch of Ibanez's that people love.

Rondo music's got a nice selection too, for pretty cheap.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I think you got the wrong idea. Nothing is wrong with the 51' it's a great guitar esp. for a begginer. I just want to know what gives that crazy metal sound. I see a lot of people w/ dual humbuckers and was woundering if that was what I should look for? But I love my 51' and it was cheap.
Wish you said that in the first post, eh?

DemoETC is right.

ReplyQuote
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks for all the help

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Dual Humbuckers and lots of distortion are pretty much standard.

Check out Dean, ESP, Ibanez, BC Rich, those companies make a lot of guitars suited for hard rock, metal.

A lot of heavy bands tune their guitars down a half or even a whole step, check out Drop D tuning as well.

Playing with that much distortion, power chords are the norm since they only have 2 different notes (root and fifth), it doesn't sound "fuzzy" like open chords do.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'm with Redneckrocker. SG's and Les Pauls have more of a warm low sound, which can work for metal. If you want explosive power you should check out BC Rich, Ibanez or Dean. But getting a metal tone is more of what amp you have. So you might want to explore that option or a pedal as DemoEtc suggested. I would stay away from the MetalZone though. I tried it in a store, it's harsh, fuzzy and destroys all tone. No offense to the people that own it.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I agree with Kevin. Check out some amps.

I can get some pretty good metal tones with my 51, although a HOTTER pickup would help.

Just thinking....Am I missing something, no one ever says the 51 is a good Metal guitar. Basswood is what a lot of Metal type guitars are made from. EX. Ibanez RGs.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

dude. my strat is the killer rock machine!.
you maybe need a better amp and a few years of playing.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote