Clear all

Rockabilly,Country...What scales?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Most Rockabilly songs are either in A or E, taking the A minor pentatonic scale and the E minor pentatonic scale as these are the ones i am working on,what positions would you recommend i work on as nobody uses all the positions so i am told,most only use a few.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

They're all the same notes, people only use certain positions because that's the pattern that feels comfortable to them but here's a time when I think learning all the positions would be valuable to know.

I'm not much into country or rockabilly but I would have thought most country songs would more oftern use a major scale than a minor but someone better versed can answer that.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I think rockabilly uses the open position because it's a lot of little fills and accents while playing the rhythmic part. As for solos, that would be up to you playing where ever you are comfortable.

Country typically uses the major pentatonic as cnev said. Take your minor pentatonic pattern and move it down 3 frets and you got major pentatonic for the same key.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all,i just want to work on lead guitar but i am getting so many contradictions its unreal and my head feels like it is ready to explode lol.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

If your goal is to play lead then I think it's in your best interest to learn all of the patterns all over the neck and understand how they flow together until they become second nature under your fingers.

If you get stuck using one or two patterns your solo's while getting boring pretty quick.

There's a lot more to it than that but it's a start.

I think many if not most instructors would have you start with the major scale patterns since the pentatonic are just subsets of those, but I don't see any real harm in starting with pentatonics.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

cnev, I actually go the other way. I teach the pentatonic first, because it's simpler - the other scales are the pentatonic with added notes.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Sorry,might sound thick but at least i admit it when it comes to lead guitar So.....if i am using major chords i need major scale and if i am using minor chords i need minor scale to fit key?

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

In general yes but it's not a hard rule, Tom you can correct me.

And Tom that is how my instructor teaches it also started with the pent then to major.

That's why I hate giving advice.

ReplyQuote
(@henry-the-wasp)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to you all anyway......I respect all your views.

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

When I was a kid (14-ish) I asked an older school friend (20-ish) about "scales". He told me he had a diagram of a scale that would take care of every style under the sun...even classical music. He pointed it out to me...there it was, my Holy Grail ...on his wall. He had begun marking each scale on it as he mastered them, one by one, years before. Now each and every fret had a mark on it. I got the message... :shock:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Henry, each key can have both minor and major chords. If you're playing in G major, seeing an Am or Em chord isn't uncommon - and you wouldn't change to some other scale... you'd just stay in G major (or any other scale that worked over the progression)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote