Clear all

rolling?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i'm practicing arpeggios off of cyberfret.com and it says for notes that are on top of eachother, just roll your finger without lifting it up...my question is what do they mean by that? whenever i try to do what i think they mean it turns into a pull off...

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

notes that are on top of each other ...
Could you possibly clarify/expand on that? Possibly an example of such if you have one?

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

meaning when you use the same finger for 2 or more notes in a row

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Hmm, having a hard time trying to understand this. All I can think of is where you're barring strings, thereby playing two or more notes in a row but on different strings. It could very be the case here but maybe I'm misinterpreting this incorrectly.

Anyhoo, I'll continue to explain and I apologize in advance if this isn't applicable.

Basically, I'm assuming you have something like, say, the very first few notes arpeggiated in Stairway to Heaven:
-----5--
---5----
-7------
--------
--------

Now, theoretically you could play this all with one finger, lifting it and placing it down on each string as required. However, the more efficient way to play it would be to barre the top three strings with the index finger at the 5th fret then fret the D string with the ring finger.

So it's possible that what they're referring to is playing arpeggios more efficiently by using barre's where appropriate.

Again, sorry if this is off the mark.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

NOTE: This is quote a looong post! :)

Rolling is a technique used in sweeping, used to play notes on top of each other on different adjacent strings, as shown below;
||----------------7------------------------||
||------------7-------7--------------------||
||----------7-----------7------------------||
||--------7---------------7----------------||
||------7-------------------7--------------||
||----7-----------------------7------------||

Now obviously there probably isn't going to be a time when you play what is above, but for learning the basics of how to roll and why, that makes a pretty good practice piece.

Ok, the basics of rolling;

1) WHY: a roll is used to sweep pick / arpeggiate notes without them ringing together
i.e. hearing each note individualy but at quite high speeds.

2) HOW: this is the harder part, but I will try to explain as detailled as possible :)
Using the example above (and doing this VERY SLOWLY to begin with!);

Place the tip of your first (barring) finger on the low E string at the 7th fret

Pluck the string and let the note ring

Now roll you finger slightly towards the next string so the softer underpart of your finger is fretting the A string on the 7th fret (as it would be if you were making a barre), while simultaneously lift the tip of the finger slightly to mute the low E string

Pluck the A string

Lower the finger further so the next part of your underfinger is fretting the D string (as it would be if you were making a barre) 7th fret while lifting slightly to mute the A string

Continue to do this motion for the strings needed.

What you are essentially doing is rolling ONE finger accross the fretboard in a BARRING, smooth motion to play 6 notes, with only one part of your finger actually fretting at any one time.

The idea behind this is that once you are able to do this quickly, you can play the 6 notes cleanly and much faster than you could by moving various fingers around.

At the point where you are able to do this technique quickly, you can strum your guitar as if playing a chord but hear only individual notes.

Now, when presented with something like this;

||---------------7---------------------||
||------------7------------------------||
||----------9--------------------------||
||--------9----------------------------||
||------7------------------------------||
||----7--------------------------------||

You could still use the rolling techique and simply use another finger to quickly fret to the 9th frets while still maintaing the roll of the finger on the 7th frets.

THIS WILL TAKE LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!! :) :) :)

Hope that helps!

Pete

ReplyQuote
(@blueeyez6489)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

NOTE: This is quote a looong post! :)

Rolling is a technique used in sweeping, used to play notes on top of each other on different adjacent strings, as shown below;
||----------------7------------------------||
||------------7-------7--------------------||
||----------7-----------7------------------||
||--------7---------------7----------------||
||------7-------------------7--------------||
||----7-----------------------7------------||

Now obviously there probably isn't going to be a time when you play what is above, but for learning the basics of how to roll and why, that makes a pretty good practice piece.

Ok, the basics of rolling;

1) WHY: a roll is used to sweep pick / arpeggiate notes without them ringing together
i.e. hearing each note individualy but at quite high speeds.

2) HOW: this is the harder part, but I will try to explain as detailled as possible :)
Using the example above (and doing this VERY SLOWLY to begin with!);

Place the tip of your first (barring) finger on the low E string at the 7th fret

Pluck the string and let the note ring

Now roll you finger slightly towards the next string so the softer underpart of your finger is fretting the A string on the 7th fret (as it would be if you were making a barre), while simultaneously lift the tip of the finger slightly to mute the low E string

Pluck the A string

Lower the finger further so the next part of your underfinger is fretting the D string (as it would be if you were making a barre) 7th fret while lifting slightly to mute the A string

Continue to do this motion for the strings needed.

What you are essentially doing is rolling ONE finger accross the fretboard in a BARRING, smooth motion to play 6 notes, with only one part of your finger actually fretting at any one time.

The idea behind this is that once you are able to do this quickly, you can play the 6 notes cleanly and much faster than you could by moving various fingers around.

At the point where you are able to do this technique quickly, you can strum your guitar as if playing a chord but hear only individual notes.

Now, when presented with something like this;

||---------------7---------------------||
||------------7------------------------||
||----------9--------------------------||
||--------9----------------------------||
||------7------------------------------||
||----7--------------------------------||

You could still use the rolling techique and simply use another finger to quickly fret to the 9th frets while still maintaing the roll of the finger on the 7th frets.

THIS WILL TAKE LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF PRACTICE!!!! :) :) :)

Hope that helps!

Pete

thank you 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Rolling your fingertip to cover a string above is not too difficult, just lay your finger down on the higher string. (Example 1)

Example 2 is a little more difficult because it is hard to pull a note with the middle of your finger. In this case, along with the roll you want to move the fingertip toward the tip so you can pull-off the next note. This takes lots of practice.

Example 3 is the most difficult type of roll IMHO. I really think the best way to do this is lay your finger down playing a small barre. So you have to plan ahead for this type of move. I really have never been able to roll upward toward the bass strings. Perhaps others can, I just anticipate the move and play a little barre.

Ex. 1

e---------------------
b---------------------
g------7--5-----7--5--
d---7--------7--------
a---------------------
e---------------------

Ex. 2

e---------------------
b---------------------
g------7p-5-----7p-5--
d---7--------7--------
a---------------------
e---------------------

Ex. 3

e---------------------
b---------------------
g---7-----5--7-----5--
d------7--------7-----
a---------------------
e---------------------

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote