Notifications
Clear all

Root A major chords

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@the-fwanksta)
Topic starter  

These are things I've always struggled with. The problem is playing the 3rd of the chord, on the B string. I know many players are double jointed and can use their ring finger, but I just can't seem to do that without muting the high E string as well. Two methods I've tried are barring with my pinky, and just using my other three fingers. Neither are very succesful thus far. I'm wondering if anyone's got any tips for me. Thanks.

(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

it has nothing to do with being double jointed or even exceptionally limber.

It's just technique. It's hard to get when you're starting out, but it can be done.

the trick is to bend the the first joint of hte finger and come donw right on the tip of your finger. Practice just playing that one note without muting the E string, once you can do that, then add the rest of the fingers, one at a time, till you're playing the chord without muting the high E string. Take it slow and steady and with practice it will come. There's no magic involved, just a bit of work.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I wonder if some people's finger bones are just too long to fit on their guitars. I suspect my middle finger may be too long to make that barre, since that bone is actually longer than the space it needs to fit in (I just broke out the ruler). I do get good results with my pinky, and I just go ahead and mute the E the rest of the time.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I wonder if some people's finger bones are just too long to fit on their guitars. I suspect my middle finger may be too long to make that barre, since that bone is actually longer than the space it needs to fit in (I just broke out the ruler). I do get good results with my pinky, and I just go ahead and mute the E the rest of the time.

Take a look at the size of Bo Diddley's fingers, or of Freddy Kings.

Very few people have hands that big, and those guys play just fine.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If all else fails, you could get a fretboard with a tighter radius.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Take a look at the size of Bo Diddley's fingers, or of Freddy Kings.

Very few people have hands that big, and those guys play just fine.
Do they use that particular fingering and let the high E ring? I can play just fine too, but that's not a move I try to make. It's possible that I could learn it, but I don't really feel the need.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Nick Torres aka "Mr. Disco" recommended I make a triangle shape with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers and use those to fret the D,G, and B strings try that. By the way this sounds messed up but first put your ring finger on the D , then put your pinky on the B directly under your ring finger, now take your middle finger and put it on the G next to your other two fingers but between them. when you take them off and look at them they form a triangle 8) 8) 8) it also makes it easy to add your index finger to make an A shaped barre.,

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nick Torres aka "Mr. Disco" recommended I make a triangle shape with my middle, ring, and pinky fingers and use those to fret the D,G, and B strings ...

My teacher suggested something very similar as an alternative to the ring-finger barre. I found it very difficult at first to get the two-fret spread between the index and middle fingers, especially down the neck for the B and Bb chords, but it's worth considering.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@the-fwanksta)
Topic starter  

Well, thanks a lot. I'll be sure to practise.

ReplyQuote