Roundabout by Yes?

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

In the song 'Roundabout' by Yes, I'm having a problem making the harmonic's sound over the fifth fret.

--[12]------[12]-------------------------------------------------[12]----
--[12]------[12]------[7]------[5]------[7]----[5]-----[7]-------[12]--
----------------------[7]------[5]------[7]----[5]-----[7]-------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the tab from PowerTab, is that tab correct? I can play it but, the 5th harmonic's doesn't sound as loud as the 12th and 7th harmonic's. Or is it just me?

Another question, would it be because my strings are getting old? I'm trying the Martin Marquis(<spelling) right now. I normally use Elixers and want to back to them after I get my moneys worth out of the Martin's.

Thanks!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

It looks right to me.

Harmonics have different amounts of 'oomph' to them... the 12th fret will be the easiest one to sound, because the 1/2 string vibration there will have more energy than the one found at 1/3 of the string (7th fret) or 1/4 of the string (5th fret). You'll need to compensate with your picking hand to get them to sound even.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

You'll need to compensate with your picking hand to get them to sound even.

Do you mean pluck harder? Cause I've been doing that. I've been going over that part over and over and it is sounding a little better each time.

I understand what mean about making them sound even, for some reason the recording sounds loud and I just can't get the fifth to sound at the recordings level.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Experiment with where you pick or pluck as well. The crests (max string displacements) occur at different points for each of these artificial harmonic locations -- and you probably should be picking near the crests. This is unlike a pinched harmonic, where you must pluck/pinch close to the node.

Also, don't assume the harmonic node (touch point) is best directly over the fret; it may be a little off. Your fret is "in tune" based on stretching of the string down to the fingerboard, type of string and bridge compensation. The stretching part doesn't come into play when playing artificial harmonics (or using a slide), sometimes putting the node somewhere other than directly over the fret.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

am i missing something? i see only five strings represented...

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

am i missing something? i see only five strings represented...

Sorry, I forgot to add the E, and no...I don't play the Banjo.

Greg,

I tried what you said about changing where I pick, HUGE difference.!. I found around the 16th and 17th fret works for me so far. Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

One other question, does Steve use a 12 string for that song? If so, it would explain why he is getting a much louder and clearer sound than me. Sorry for all the questions, I just disscovered Yes and Steve Howe (<spelling).

ReplyQuote
(@tonedeaf)
Trusted Member

one of my favorite bands... steve is amazing... sometimes i hear him, studio or live, and you swear you hear more than one guitar... also have a couple of his solo albums...

get 'fragile'... you wont be disappointed

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks tone, I'll check that one out.

Well I've been working on it every day and it's coming along quite nicely. I found that if I pick @ 4 frets up from each harmonic it REALLY rings out nicely. I have to move my picking hand around a little but, IT WORKS!

The funny part was, I always thought that people were just "showing off" when they would do stuff like that. Come to find out, they were doing it for a reason!!!!

Thanks again Greg!!!

ReplyQuote