Clear all

SADDLES...

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I think this may be moved eventually...but I think it warrants being here myself.

anyhow....

bought a cheap but old classical guitar the other day...been playing steel string acoustic for 2 yrs....

well I'm waiting on some new strings and as the action is in my opinion very high (6mm) at fret 12 was thinking of tweaking the saddle...but

first question....are classicals meant to be that high?....the neck is good n straight and the soundboard/bridge seem fine

second question....the saddle is both square on to the nut and not compensated...basically it is just a lump of plastic sitting square on the bridge...so how is intonation affected if I lower the saddle?

excuse my ignorance...but anybody feel like enhancing my limited knowledge? 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

Classical guitars do traditionally have higher action. Classicals also require much less, if any, compensation at the saddles when compared to steel string guitars, which is why many classical saddles are square to the nut.

If you lower the saddle, you run the risk of slightly flattening the intonation of the guitar. BUT, the change in intonation may be so slight as to not be noticeable; it may depend on how much lower you set the action. You could also possibly compensate a little for the flattened intonation by putting lower tension strings on the guitar, as they will stretch a little more than higher tension strings when fretted, thus raising the flattened pitch a little. Finally, if you find that lowering the saddle changes the intonation enough to bother you, you can always shim the saddle back up with some hardwood veneer.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the full answer.....I kinda figured some of it myself and as you say...shimming is always an option to put things back as was...

nothing ventured,nothing gained 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

No problem :) Let me know how it turns out.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote