Notifications
Clear all

sausage fingers

23 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, mine aren't suasage fingers, they are actually built pretty well for the instrument, but it shouldn't hamper you. You will be fine.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@urbancowgirl)
Reputable Member

Show off. :P

All my life I wanted to be somebody. Now I see I should have been more specific.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Show off. :P

Yeah, +1. That hurts just to look at. Perhaps I can do it after another 20 years. :|

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

Show off.
+2 :lol: :lol:

I couldn't stretch that far if I wanted to.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Thats just something I zoomed in on that was taken I believe while playing Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The alien". Mostly showing off the wide hand and long slender fingers, I am blessed.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@unimogbert)
Estimable Member

I'd like to call the OP's attention to the string spacing on the pictured guitar.

Some guitars have narrow necks (also often expressed as nut width) which puts the strings so close together that only children can fret the strings w/o touching the adjacent strings. The guitar in the picture is NOT one of them.
I gave away an inexpensive guitar I'd purchased because I just couldn't fit my thick fingers in between the strings.
My niece can do it perfectly well and the guitar fits her. :-)

The problem could very well be that the guitar does not fit the player. This could be easily checked by a teacher or experienced guitar player (who isn't trying to sell you a guitar).

Unimogbert
(indeterminate, er, intermediate fingerstyle acoustic)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

how far should the strings be from the frets at the top of the board?

I just realized that we/everyone forgot to answer your question. :oops: :oops:

I'm not sure if it varies from manufacturure to manufacturure or not, but best to check your guitar's manuals if you can. Sometimes you'll have to find them online. If not, then I go with something someone else posted, which I've repeated below.

All measuremeants taken on the 12th fret wire to bottom of string without fretting any strings.
Electric
Bass Side (Thick string) - 5/64ths
Treble Side - (thin string) - 3/64ths

Accoustic
Bass Side (thick string) - 6/64th
treble side ( thin string) - 4/64th

Refer to manufacture instructions on how to adjust of doing it yourself. If you're not confident in your handy-person abilities, a good set up is not expensive at all. I think I've heard somehwere around $25 for basic and a little higher for floating trem systems.

There is one other set of measurements that can be done at the first fret, but you need feeler gauges for it.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 EMT
(@emt)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so the down and dirty on an acoustic is about the thickness of a dime?

with the age of the guitar some of the frets have grooves worn into them. the board also has grooves from wear. mostly at the top, the 1st through 4th fret i think is how they're numbered. i was just kinda curious.
thanks man

red meat doesn't kill you, fuzzy green meat does.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2