Scale for this progression

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello guys and gals,

I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on which minor pentatonic scale to use with this chord progression. My cousin has come up with his own song and I'd like to attempt to add a little something to it.

G - D - Am
G - D - C

Thanks in advance and happy strumming,

Lunarist

(@davidhodge)

Same chord progression as Knocking on Heaven's Door. You can easily use the E minor pentatonic (technically the G major pentatonic as they have the same notes), but you can use other scales, pentatonic or otherwise as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Same chord progression as Knocking on Heaven's Door. You can easily use the E minor pentatonic (technically the G major pentatonic as they have the same notes), but you can use other scales, pentatonic or otherwise as well.

Hope this helps.

Peace

+1. But my bandmate would play G minor pent.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Okay thanks a lot fellas. So it could work with G minor pentatonic or E minor pentatonic?

Thanks,

Lunarist

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Try them both, but my ears like the Em pent like David said.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote