Clear all

Scales

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How important are they and how long should I devote my practice time to studying them?

(@zaidrockso)

Very important, but they're also very boring to start! This is what i usually advise my students to do, learn the c major in any shape. so say position 1 c major scale, shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, then everyday, as your warm up youtube " c major backing track " and play the scale u learned over the track, if that gets too easy, try not playing it diatonically ( sequentially ) as in mix it up. Then when that gets easy learn the 2nd position, rinse and repeat! Goodluck

http://www.soundcloud.com/zaidlutfi
http://www.zaidlutfi.com

ReplyQuote
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Very important, but they're also very boring to start! This is what i usually advise my students to do, learn the c major in any shape. so say position 1 c major scale, shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes, then everyday, as your warm up youtube " c major backing track " and play the scale u learned over the track, if that gets too easy, try not playing it diatonically ( sequentially ) as in mix it up. Then when that gets easy learn the 2nd position, rinse and repeat! Goodluck

Thanks a lot I really appreciate the advice. So I should learn all 17 scales?

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There's a lot more than 17.

The most commonly used ones are the major and minor pentatonic, the major scale, the natural, harmonic and melodic minors, the Dorian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes, the whole tone and chromatic scales, and the two diminished (HW and WH) scales, the Phrygian and Locrian, and the gypsy minor. But different styles of music will use others - the hexatonic scales, octatonic scales, Indian ragas, etc. A complete list of scales would probably number more than 100, and the number of scales in actual use if you include microtonal systems will be over 200 (microtonal systems are commonly used in music from Indian, Indonesia, and the Arabian peninsula)

Learn the ones used in the styles you want to play.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Start off with the pentatonic blues scale shapes, which is the minor pentatonic with a few extra "blue" notes added...

ReplyQuote
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

There's a lot more than 17.

The most commonly used ones are the major and minor pentatonic, the major scale, the natural, harmonic and melodic minors, the Dorian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes, the whole tone and chromatic scales, and the two diminished (HW and WH) scales, the Phrygian and Locrian, and the gypsy minor. But different styles of music will use others - the hexatonic scales, octatonic scales, Indian ragas, etc. A complete list of scales would probably number more than 100, and the number of scales in actual use if you include microtonal systems will be over 200 (microtonal systems are commonly used in music from Indian, Indonesia, and the Arabian peninsula)

Learn the ones used in the styles you want to play.

I'm fond of nirvana what styles do they play in?

ReplyQuote
(@zaidrockso)

I Think you should google their tabs and learn the songs as they come rather than learning the scales they use

http://www.soundcloud.com/zaidlutfi
http://www.zaidlutfi.com

ReplyQuote
(@starrk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok thanks a lot for the information

ReplyQuote
(@mccoy2015)

Guitar scales, and modes are the pillars of guitar playing... without it; you will just be memorize songs and not really learn the songs...

you will not be able to figure out how the song is made and its chords progression without the scales...

while the modes, gives the song its flavor... if its a happy song,, sad song... dramatic... intense... so on and so fort...

hope this helps... and also practice scales with a back track or a metronome... this tools will help you on your precision fretting, timing and speed...

ReplyQuote