Notifications
Clear all

Scales 4 Beginners

23 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

frank2121, They're the major scale... your book may show pentatonic scales. and may only show 3-4 of the frets.
It's up to you where to start the scale, but that means modal music, whihc I won't go into. So start the scale at the root note(in G major, pick any G you wish and play from there!)

what do you mean by start with g like start on the 3rd fret of e string then where do you go
the book i have show the G maj scales in all 5 shapes still cant find it .

like to play the Gmaj one where do you start what fret and then where do you go is it like

3-1-5
2-3-5
ect ect
ok im must be stupid but its not clicking for me

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

frank, this is the g magor scale

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------2--3----------
B --------------------------------------------------------------3--5------------------
G -----------------------------------------------2---4---5---------------------------
D ------------------------------------2---4--5-----------------------------------------
A --------------------2----3---5-------------------------------------------------------
E ------------3---5----------------------------------------------------------------

this first note played is a g and last note played is g, the other notes in the scale are
A, B, C, D, E, AND F# i hope this helps 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I'm throwing together some good practice scales that show the notes and where they are on the fretboard

These scales are played in the second position. If you look at these from left to right there are the first 6 frets. Enjoy.

This is a great idea Ginger its a great way to learn the board i think but a bit cofused
so can you explain to me
(1) are these scales pentatonic
(2) does position mean shape (as in the 5 shapes )
like i have a book showing me the 5 shapes of the Gmaj scale and none of them match the ones above :?
(3)where do you start the scale
this is where iam confused i thought all notes in the same shape were the same
where on the fret board is the second poisition

The scales are major, what you see is the continuation of the scales across all 6 strings You always start on the 6th string, (thinkest) with the very first note you see and work from left to right and go down and then try to repeat the order in reverse back up again. It's a great finger exercise and if you just spend a few minutes a day running these you will get better. I plan to post a few more scales as well as some pentatonic's as well. with the notes. now you can move these shapes all over the neck, up and down the neck. but you need to know how to figure out what those notes are. I can always put together some in different postions with the note names and I most liely wil, just be patient with me as I don't have a whole lot of time on my hands so when I can i will post them. What I'm trying to do is get you started and teach you to say the note names outloud as you play the scale. If you already know your tuning note names and how to find the notes as you work down the scales then you will have a much easier time learning where these notes are.

Now I know that there is tons of info on this site to teach you about standard tuning and how the steps are taken to find out what the notes are per string and frets. I can post that too if you would all like. If it'd be easier for you. But I would encourage you to search and learn this cause it will help you out so much.

Now listen, scales are boring......believe me spending a few minutes a day playing scales after a couple of weeks you go man this is sure boring, but skip this part in your learning and you will regret it later i promise you. See what I do is I do a finger exercise, then run through a few scales, I usually spend about 15 mintues doing this then I work on some material, then I will finish my practice with a few songs i already know, this leaves me with satisfaction. Remember, you must learn how to crawl before you walk. I can tell you this, if you spend a few minutes a day running through these you will see an improvement on, not only your spedd, but your acrucy (sp?) I know i spelled that wrong but i'm in a hurry and ned to go to work.

I will post 6 neew scales someeime this weekend. so please check back and make sure you all print these out and use them. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

e[--|F#|G-|--|A-|--]
B[--|--|D-|--|E-|--]
G[--|A-|--|B-|C-|--] G Major Scale
D[--|E-|--|F#|G-|--]
A[--|B-|C-|--|D-|--]
E[--|F#|G-|--|A-|--]

[frank, this is the g magor scale

E ----------------------------------------------------------------------2--3----------
B --------------------------------------------------------------3--5------------------
G -----------------------------------------------2---4---5---------------------------
D ------------------------------------2---4--5-----------------------------------------
A --------------------2----3---5-------------------------------------------------------
E ------------3---5----------------------------------------------------------------

this first note played is a g and last note played is g, the other notes in the scale are
A, B, C, D, E, AND F# i hope this helps

this is what i mean they dont match up i think need to learn more tell me shut up if iam a pest !

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

e[--|F#|G-|--|A-|--]
B[--|--|D-|--|E-|--]
G[--|A-|--|B-|C-|--] G Major Scale
D[--|E-|--|F#|G-|--]
A[--|B-|C-|--|D-|--]
E[--|F#|G-|--|A-|--]

[frank, this is the g magor scale

A, B, C, D, E, AND F# i hope this helps

this is what i mean they dont match up i think need to learn more tell me shut up if iam a pest !

It's just two different ways of looking at the same scale from different starting points. Theoretical v practical.

The theoretical view: This is the G major scale, so it must start and end with the key note: G

The practical view: There's no need to miss out perfectly good scale notes just so that you can start on the key note G. You should start on the first available scale note whether or not it's the key note and continue playing scale notes until you run out of fingers and strings, regardless of which scale note you end up on.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

That's bad. I practice those scales almost every day and don't know the names of them already. :oops:

I guess I should tell myself what scale I'm practicing for now on to remember its name.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@frank2121)
Reputable Member

It's just two different ways of looking at the same scale from different starting points. Theoretical v practical.

The theoretical view: This is the G major scale, so it must start and end with the key note: G

The practical view: There's no need to miss out perfectly good scale notes just so that you can start on the key note G. You should start on the first available scale note whether or not it's the key note and continue playing scale notes until you run out of fingers and strings, regardless of which scale note you end up on.

thank you for that

ReplyQuote
(@gkoserjr)

Thanks for the lesson Ginger. Will definately use this and will be watching for the next one.

Ibanez AW200

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2