Notifications
Clear all

Scales??? Huh???

22 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

1st being both guitars and keys can play chords... matter of fact, the only two instruments that can make a chord,

I can play chords on my violin, bluesharp, ukelele and xylophone. If I had more money the list would be longer. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Harp, Zither, Banjo.................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

ac(chord)ion . . .

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

OK OK OK... oh boy!! (sheesh)

My "BIG" mistake....so 'other' stringed and 'keyboarded' instruments can also make chords.... but dont' miss my point fellas.

Trying to draw the similarity of the piano's key layout to the original scales question that was answered with the idea of an interval. :note2: :note1: :note2: :note1:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

My "BIG" mistake....so 'other' stringed and 'keyboarded' instruments can also make chords.

You're missing it: every 'type' of instrument (percussion, strings, wind) contains instruments that can play chords harmonically. Not just variations of the guitar and piano. And practically every instrument that doesn't atleast allows you to play them melodically. I'm not saying it to annoy you but to point out that there is no special relationship between guitar and piano, or atleast none that doesn't also apply to every other instrument. Each instrument approaches the same theoretic foundations from a different angle, but the 'source' is the same for every instrument.

Piano is indeed the instrument that, for most people, show the basic principles in the easiest way. You showed that very well and I didnt try to sidetrack you, just pointing out a tiny error.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Absolutley Ignar... and I appreciate it.. I was trying to respond back to y'all in humor. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

As Dagwood pointed out, the piano is a particularly good instrument for getting to know all about scales, keys, chords etc. One reason is that the layout itself gives you some good visual clues for finding your way around. But it also has the great advantage that you can play chords AND the melody line at the same time without needing to be some sort of fingerpicking wizard... So you can fairly easily test out how your scale sounds by playing the chord progression in your left hand (for instance) and make up melodies from the notes of a particular scale with your right hand.

And if you have a synth or 'arranger' style keyboard then you can do things that you'd usually need an ensemble for, like play chords with a sax voice, plus add a sax melody line. Nearly as good as a guitar, some of these modern keyboards.... :wink:

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2