Clear all

Scales Vs. Chords Lessons

14 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Should I be concentrating more on scales or learning chords and chord changes, or both equally? I am taking lessons and the first three have been all about scales. I am barely able to work through the first scale I was given and now I just have more of them to learn. I took up guitar to have fun, but so far it's anything but that. Right now, I just want to be able to play something recognizable. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks,
KC

(@Anonymous)

If you just want to strum along to someone else playing or singing the melody line concentrate on chords and changes. If you want to play lead the scales will come in handy later.

Right now along with the lessons take some time to play songs. Even if all you can do is pick out the single note melody. This is suppose to be fun not work.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

hmm, chances are you're going to get different replies based on people's own preferences.

The upside to learning scales early on is that it is going to help you understand the theory behind chords and chord changes, which is what I suspect your teacher is attempting to do. Also, playing scales is a very good way of learning how to use your fingers and getting them to do what you want; if you are having trouble playing scales then the creation of chords, which requires anywhere from 2 to 4, or even 5, fingers to do as they are told very quickly, might to be ahead of you at this point.

As for playing something 'recognisable', I can only say this; it is not going to happen overnight.

I recall how it feels to be 'new' to guitar, as it was no too long ago that I was, and I remember thinking "OMG is just want to play "insert song here" " Unfortunately, without the propery theory and practice beforehand, that just won't happen.

Keep practicing, get those scales going, get your fingers moving, and ask your teacher when you will be moving on to chords, and see what his "long-term" plan is.

While it's not unreasonable to want to play a song you know, there are things that you need to learn and be able to do before this can happen.

Good luck!

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

It depends really, there is no correct order to learn in, there are only some things that are helpful to learn before others. Chords are constructed from scales, so that might be why your tutor is starting with scales - so that he demonstrate why chords are the way they are instead of just giving you a list of patterns to learn... you'll understand them better and be able to put them to better use if you know what goes into them.

It is definitely important to have fun, but sometimes you have to do a little groundwork to get to the fun bit without arriving there confused :wink:

Have a word with him, and ask him the same questions. You'll need to be able to talk openly to a tutor to get the most out of the relationship, and he'll need to know what your goals are to be able to help you get to them.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Part of the fun of any musical instrument is in being able to express yourself musically.

To achieve that you need to work on a few different things over time, and it is work.

But there's a certain joy that can had from working hard at one's hobby as well.

My bit of advice here is to talk with your teacher about wanting to be able to play a song or two, and your concern that you're falling behind his lessons and not having fun with them.

But at the same time be aware that some skills just require you put in the time, and they aren't "fun" to learn -- but are great fun once you learn them.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

I have been playing guitar off and on (largely off until over a year ago) for several years and during that time amassed a range of "teach yourself" guitar books and CDs. Generally I have been pretty satisfied with my progress in as much as I have seen improvement and above all I get excited about the idea of returning home to pick up my guitar and play all evening. On a poor night I manage a couple of hours but when I can squeeze in extra I will .. oh and of course there is always time for a few hours on the weekend :)

Of course there remains a mass of questions for me but somehow ploughing through books and CDs alongside sweat and tears has always seemed to me to be the most rewarding route. However I do sometimes think to myself that as a beginner (for that is how I classify myself) maybe I have been wrong and should have got a teacher who could have guided me and thus moved my playing so much further forward. Maybe it's just the fact that I am now 54 and still dream of the day when I can sound truly competent, whereas I watch performances by 30 year olds that make my chin hit the floor. My wife always compliments me but she is biased .. hey she also says she likes my paintings!

Should I get a teacher and forego the struggle and reward of teaching myself. If I do any progress I make will undoubtedly be attributable to my hard effort and their teaching skills. Or should I acknowledge that I left picking the guitar up late in life and that if I want to achieve anything worthwhile I need help.

What do you think folks?

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

oops sorry kc - posted that one in the wrong forum

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

I had the same thing with my guitar teacher except he showed me chords first. My guitar teacher really was not going ahead , for months it was just the same chords over and over. When he finally showed my a scale he really didn't teach me how to use it or what to do with it. Chord changes are great to learn , and I think it has helped me with learning scales ( from a different guitar teacher). I am happy I learned how to do chord changes first because it has really helped me guide my fingers easier , but as 10141748 - Reincarnate said it's personal preference.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Should I be concentrating more on scales or learning chords and chord changes, or both equally? I am taking lessons and the first three have been all about scales. I am barely able to work through the first scale I was given and now I just have more of them to learn. I took up guitar to have fun, but so far it's anything but that. Right now, I just want to be able to play something recognizable. Is this unreasonable?

Thanks,
KC

Hey KC.. The first few, maybe nine. months of guitar are a rather steep climb. Fact is, even after that there will be time you feel like you should be progressing more. But the pay off is worth it.

SO. What do you do to make the most of it until you are THERE. Well, scales are important and you are paying for the lessons so I would suggest you practice them.. But have you thought that maybe there is some time you need to set aside to just play whatever the heck you want. I mean that within the scope of what you are able to play. I would suggest learning basic chords while you are learning scales. Learn A, Am, C, D, Dm, E, Em, F, and G.. Not all at once but as you have time.

Look up G, C and D or maybe just G and C.. Get used to changing between the two of them.. Now learn D.. and use all three of those. Those three work well for a specific reason and you'll learn why that reason is later on.

Getting good at that? Learn, F. Now play the C you learned earlier, F and G. Just get the feeling for changing between those three. Now you know 4 chord. Wow, the four chords I use most in the 10 or so songs I have written in the last year.

Man.. guitar has to be made fun and it really doesnt take much once you take a few chances. The reason that young people learn it so much faster than people like me is that they dont CARE when they mess up.. They just keep on playing.

PM me or write back if you ahve any more trouble or questions.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

kc,

your teacher should be teaching you, for example, g magor scale-notes in the scale, and the chords that go with that scale,
if he is just loading you up with just scales, get another teacher, knowing every scale there is does nothing for you if you don't know how to apply them 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks to all that responded. I am still struggling with scales and talked to my teacher. He said that the ones he was showing me were the pentatonic scales and that with these I could play lead guitar at any jam session. While this would be great for a long range goal, it's not what I am looking for at this point. Anyway, we are working to find a middle ground and if it doesn't work out I will either look to another teacher or one of the many self-help resources.

Thanks again,
KC

ReplyQuote
(@landog)
Eminent Member

Hey KC,

I've only been at this a little more than a month also, so I know how you feel!

I've had 4 lessons and here's how it goes for me.

He uses Hal Leanord's Acoustic Guitar book 1 to teach individual notes and note reading. He also gives me somewhat easy songs to learn so that I can practice learning chords, Bass-Strum, chord changes, etc.

So, the lessons so far have gone like this

Week 1 - Note reading, practice notes on the 1st string, start learning "Silent Night" (Bass-Strum: Chords are C,G7,Fmaj7)
Week 2 - Note reading, practice notes on 1st and 2nd string, review "Silent Night," start learning "Knocking on heavens door." (Straight down-strum for now, Chords are G,D,Am7,C)
Week 3 - Note reading, practice notes on 1st,2nd, and 3rd strings, Continue with "Silent Night" and "Knocking on heavens door."
Week 4 Note reading, practice notes on 1st-4th strings, Continue with Silent Night, Knocking on Heaven's door, start working on "Take it Easy" by the Eagles. Academic review with metronome and sight reading exercises.

That's about it so far. Initially I thought we were going way too slow, but I started to realize that he wants me to really know stuff before moving on.

When I practice, I break it up. I start off with some scales (Em Pentatonic and Blues) to warm up. Then on to note reading and individual exercises from the book. Take a break. Work on the songs.

After that, I make sure I have time to "noodle" around and have some fun too.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
Steve

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

I recently changed teachers because my former teacher was hung up on learning the notes on the fretboard. After talking with the music store manager about my goals, he hooked me up with a new guy in the "stable". My new teacher focused on the the minor pentatonic scales for the first few weeks and I thought "Here we go again". Then on the fourth week he had me improvising the blues while he played rhythm. I haven't smiled that much since prom night :wink:

You ultimately have to decide, do you want your teacher to teach you to play songs or to play guitar. Armed with the knowledge of how to play guitar you will have the ability to learn all the songs you want. Only you can decide if your teacher is helping you reach whichever goal you chose. It took three teachers before I found one the right one.

/dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

why not do both. Admittedly, I have only been playing for about 7 months, but I think for me to have one without the other is kind of silly. I always start off any practice session with scales, the rest of the time chords and songs.
reminds me of when I first started with my teacher (friend), he was dead set on me using a pick, but it didn't work for me at that time. I wanted to finger pick. A few months later when i got comfortable (not the same as proficient) I began incorporating the pick into my warm ups and I am pretty happy with the progress.
I told you that whole story to say maybe making boundaries as what is right to learn and when can be just that--a boundary.

ReplyQuote