Notifications
Clear all

Seagull guitars

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@susan-demaio)
Topic starter  

I am purchasing a guitar for my daughter for graduation and am considering a Seagull Artist Portrait Cutaway Quantum II EQ @ $999.00. She has only been playing for six month, but loves it. We looked at one in the $550.00 range but this one is what she really liked. Too much too soon? I don't want to get a low end because she really likes playing the guitar and will bring it with her to college. Anybody with experience with this guitar and how is the quality, performance..... Any opinions would be appreciated.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I have the Seagull Artist Folk and it's a beautiful guitar.

Too much too soon? I don't know how to answer that. Is she Miss Hobby? Do you think it would be in a closet somewhere in 6 months?

Besides, Seagulls have excellent resale value.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

I been thinking about getting a seagull but in the 200 too 300 hundred range. I wonder if the cheaper ones are also a good value

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

probably not to much too soon, but either would be a good choice as Seagul has a good rep here.

jonetoe, I have not used one, but you should goto a store and play on and see what you think. I just bought an acoustic to add to what I already have. I ended up purchasing a totaly different guitar that what I went down agter as the sound was more what I wanted. This was not even one I was looking for, I just tried various models that I could in a price range.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member

Wow. $999. I wish my parents would buy me a guitar for that much.

The thing is you know your daughter best. Is she the kind of person that will stick with something through the good times and the bad, or is she still in the honeymoon period with learning the guitar?

If she's really gonna take the bull by the horns, then buy it. Expensive guitar never maketh the guitarist, but a crappy one will never help you on the way to greatness!

If not, then wait a while until you know she's dead serious about playing, then you know you've made a good investment (and not just bought an expensive coat rack!)

Mart.
Ps i am serious about the guitar, and if you're feeling particularly benevolent, then you can buy me a guitar if you want. :D

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Seagulls have an exellent reputation. It really comes down to if she's serious or not. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

BTW welcome to guitarnoise. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@slowfingers)
Trusted Member

I like my Seagull as much as anybody. That said, I only paid $425 for it. It was a really good value at that price. I think if I were shopping with a $1000 limit, I would probably be looking elsewhere. Maybe a Larrivee parlor, a Taylor 214, a higher end Takamine, something along those lines. Do I mean that the Seagull is not a good guitar? Absolutely not. But I have not heard a whole lot about their higher end equipment. The lower end stuff is a great bargain, though.

Seagull M6 Gloss

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

yeah.. check out Laviree's too. :)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@susan-demaio)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick responses. You all have been very helpful. So far I have had nothing but positive feedback about the Seagull guitars. Although, a few people think there is nothing better than the Martin guitars and think I should look in that direction. As we visit our local guitar shops, are there any brands we should stay away from?

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

They're's not really any brands you should stay away from, but there are brands you should look out for. Some of the best acoustic guitar values I've seen come from Canada. Seagull, Godin, Norman, and Laviree to name a few. Getting all solid wood is pretty common in the 1000 dollar price range, espeisally in the Canadian made guitars. Remember, don't get fooled by fancy abalone rosette's and bindings. Pick what truly sounds and plays good. Happy buying! P.S. don't forget adding in a case, strap, picks etc.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
 gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Nick, I was wondering if the Seagull artist folk you have has the same soft top as the lower end models? I love the sound of my Seagull folk, but you can sneeze on it and scratch it.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

jonetoe, I have not used one, but you should goto a store and play on and see what you think. I just bought an acoustic to add to what I already have. I ended up purchasing a totaly different guitar that what I went down agter as the sound was more what I wanted. This was not even one I was looking for, I just tried various models that I could in a price range.

Thanks I have played one that sold under 200 (seagul) but they had cedar I want too try spruce, its seems pretty solid. I will have too bring tuner next time (can't tune by ear yet) because their all out of tune

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Susan,
Martin and Taylor are both nice guitars. Realize in the higher end guitars you get more wood choices and craftsmanship. It is more in the name and the quality of the wood Some martins and Taylors in the high end can hit $5K. The big point is to play the guitar and see if she likes the sound. The guitar I eluded to was a high end Alverasz, nice wood, Ablone and trim, nice inaly. The sound was good. I also played a Martin and a Taylor. Both had great sound, solid tops but no fancy work. In the end I like the sound of the Taylor better. Like yoyo pointed out, do not get fooled by fancy wood trim. Play the guitar and listen to the sound and then decide. Along the Taylors, mine is a Taylor 210, I paid $600 with hardshell case. There was a gentelman in the store last night when I was taking lessons, he was ordering a 310 left. Price was ~ $900. They had a really nice Koa model that was sweet, but I could not justify the $3.2K price.

joneton,
yes carry a tuner, my dealer her has played for years and can tune by ear. Like you I have not developed that skill to hit that right. Mike tuned my guitar and I was able to tune the other 2 from the one I was using. I tried spruce and a combination of wood. I went to another store and they had one cedar, but this was a cheep guitar, high action, thick stings, plastic on the bridge and nut. Sounded bad, the nicer cedar was sold and I was not able to play that one. Enjoy the sound and try the guitar, it does help. It did for me.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It does have the soft top, but it doesn't really scratch so much as kinda dent. Not big finish dents, but tiny ones.

As far as other guitars, I think you should stick to one whose sound she loves.

Certainly you have other options in brands and woods, but the one she wants to play is the one she will play.

The new high end seagulls that you are talking about are certainly worth the money.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2