Notifications
Clear all

Second Guitar

33 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

You should get a new guitar when you find something that speaks to you. About a year ago I found a Tele that spoke to me, it was beautiful playing it but I didn't have the funds to get it at the time. Really wish I was able to get that, but ah well.

I got a standard strat that spoke last June. My next guitar will probably be something with buckers in it, or I might go for a Tele again. I haven't decided yet. But before any of that I'll probably end up with a new amp.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I love this place. :D

People can talk about the "personalities" of their guitars, and report experiences of guitars that "spoke" to them, and instead of thinking "Uh oh, oddball alert....." and moving back a step or two, we all know exactly what they mean. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I don't think giving guitars personalities is weird. Some people I know have even gone as far as naming their guitars. Though I always wonder how you decide if its a male or female guitar..........

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I only ask myself two questions:

1) does it add something?
2) can I afford it?

So far this resulted in (from first to last, only those still in my possession):

Yamaha G55-A classical
Dean Avalanche double-fat strat
Ibanez RG550 HSH, floyd-equiped, superstrat
Ibanez PF60 western
Ortega R180 classical
Ibanez AFS75 jazzbox
Dean Edge09 bassguitar )
I don't have a strat, tele, semi-hollow, SG or twelve string. Don't have much money either. But I can live with what I've got. 8

I totally agree with you arjen.Even though i have only 1 yamaha classical guitar , yet i find it more than sufficient to live and have fun with.Its great to see what you have rather than not :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I only ask myself two questions:

1) does it add something?
2) can I afford it?

So far this resulted in (from first to last, only those still in my possession):

Yamaha G55-A classical
Dean Avalanche double-fat strat
Ibanez RG550 HSH, floyd-equiped, superstrat
Ibanez PF60 western
Ortega R180 classical
Ibanez AFS75 jazzbox
Dean Edge09 bassguitar

I don't have a strat, tele, semi-hollow, SG or twelve string. Don't have much money either. But I can live with what I've got. 8)
I totally agree with you arjen.Even though i have only 1 yamaha classical guitar , yet i find it more than sufficient to live and have fun with.Its great to see what you have rather than not :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Right now all I have is a Yamaha G-65 Classical Steel String small bodied big fretboarded guitar that I BORROWED from someone. And i absolutely freaking love playing it. I have heard people with Fender acoustics and such and they do not have nearly the same character in sound and personality as my 50 year old Yamaha.

I am currently looking into a strat or perhaps a les paul lookalike from Agile.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I don't think giving guitars personalities is weird. Some people I know have even gone as far as naming their guitars. Though I always wonder how you decide if its a male or female guitar..........

B.B. King calls his guitars Lucille. :)

Male or female??? Well, guitars are at times lovable, at times temperamental, we can fall desperately in love with them from afar, have long term relationships with old favourites or be infuriated by some aspects of their behaviour. Sometimes they're cheap and nasty, sometimes elegant and expensive. Often fun, at times frustrating. Despite feeling that sometimes they just soak up too much of our time, we can't seem to do without them either.... :?

Sounds like females to me.... :twisted: :twisted: But of course, for the women here, I guess that sounds just like males! :shock:

Darn, now I'm going to spend some of today dreaming up names for my little collection. Interesting to see if they turn out to be male or females...

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

2) can I afford it?

Does it REALLY matter if you can afford it? :wink: Get it ANYWAY! :lol:

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

2) can I afford it?

Does it REALLY matter if you can afford it? :wink: Get it ANYWAY! :lol:

Yeah, geez.. were guitar players.. not accountants.. Well, were not accountants at home. Were guitar players.. :lol: Act like one. heh

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Geez people, can't you just be happy with the one guitar? :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Male or female??? Well, guitars are at times lovable, at times temperamental, we can fall desperately in love with them from afar, have long term relationships with old favourites or be infuriated by some aspects of their behaviour. Sometimes they're cheap and nasty, sometimes elegant and expensive. Often fun, at times frustrating. Despite feeling that sometimes they just soak up too much of our time, we can't seem to do without them either.... :?

I hope I never have to start PAYING for my women, though :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I was wondering how long after buying your first guitar should you start looking at getting a second.

As soon as the change from the first hits the bottom of your pocket. :lol:

Let your musical tastes and your current position on the path of your musical journey be your guide. At some point you might, lets say, re-discover Led Zepplin and just need an LP, or a friend my play a Keb Mo' CD for you and you find yourself delving into the world of finger picking blues and you won't be able to sleep until you own a first class resonator.

What I'm saying is that there is no one road map or sequence of events that shape your personal world of music. All I can say is that you will know it when you know.

Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Geez people, can't you just be happy with the one guitar?

Coming from you Nick.... ;)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@itziks)
Estimable Member

Just wandering what would it be if guitars costed like pianos. Will you still buy some ? I mean Imagine a pianist having 7 or more pianos...

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

Just wandering what would it be if guitars costed like pianos. Will you still buy some ? I mean Imagine a pianist having 7 or more pianos...

That's when you get one of Line6's guitars that model everything else, like people do with electronic keyboards that produce a ton of different sounds.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3