Clear all

Sequence

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@gdub7870)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

What, in your opinions, is the best progression to follow when learning electric guitar?my goal is to be proficient at playing classic and 90's era rock (ex. Boston, skynard, candle box, collective soul, etc.)thanks and cheers

(@alangreen)

The answer really is the same whatever genre of music you want to play - start simple, using open position chords - and build from there.

My students start with four open position chords - Em, Am, C and G. They use these four chords in a rhythm study from the RGT Acoustic Guitar Initial Grade exam book, then go on to use them in a song; Breakdown, by Jack Johnson, from the Trinity Rock Initial Grade book.

Reference material:

Trinity Rock - Initial Grade to Grade 8 - the best thing to happen to guitar tuition since sliced yoghurt. Songs that you'll have heard on the radio.

Registry of Guitar Tutors - Acoustic Guitar playing, Initial Grade to Grade 8

Graded Guitar Songs - two books published by Hal Leonard and tied in to the RGT Rock Guitar exams. Beginners (Grades 1-3) - ISBN 9-781617-807077 (has those dull riffs from Smells Like Teen Spirit and Smoke on the Water, and the arrangement of Sunshine of Your Love is better in Trinity Rock Grade 3) and Intermediate (Grades 4 & 5) - ISBN 9-781458-409171 (includes the short version of Layla, and a very usable arrangement of Under The Bridge).

Get yourself a guitar tutor - a good one will look at every aspect of your technique and fix problem areas as you go on.

And learn to read music - it's easy, and sooner or later, if you can't read music, you will be laughed out of an audition without having played a note.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@gdub7870)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Would it be ok to work on power chords before open chords? Thanks

ReplyQuote