Serious warning for other newbies

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,
First, I am definately a begginer, practicing since June 6th. I LOVE playing the guitar. For about a month, every morning I've had a really stiff left hand. Not painful, but a hard to move. Stretching it or a little heat fixed the problem in 1-2 minutes. About a week ago, I started getting serious shooting pain in my left wrist. I couldn't tie me shoes (not even close). Any pulling or gripping was very painful.

Got a little advise from a doctor. .. aparently, going from 0 hours practice to 30 per week is a bad idea. So after 3 days of no practice and really "babying" my hand, the pains mostly gone. I spend evenings putting ice on my wrist, stretching the muscles and practicing for 2-5 minutes at a time (2-3 times a day) I definately feel when I've had enough.

So here it is, if your just beginning, no matter how much fun it is, be careful and listen to your body!

P.S. Steve Vai better watch out, competitiopns coming (slowly)

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

"Everything in moderation" is one key to keeping the pain down. After you build the muscles then it takes quite a bit to hurt you.

The other key is "technique" and "Posture". If you are not fretting correctly, have the guitar too low (for example) or many other bad habits you can also kill your wrist, arms, and fingers.

So it is a combination of stamina and technique

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have a couple thoughts on cause. Too much practice (can't believe it's possible) is one. In the last month or so I've really started focussing on barre chords too.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Had the same problem when I started. Practiced eigth hours day and using horrible technique (just the thumb for all strings). You might want to get a teacher to make sure you are playing properly.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Hey all,
First, I am definately a begginer, practicing since June 6th. I LOVE playing the guitar. For about a month, every morning I've had a really stiff left hand. Not painful, but a hard to move. Stretching it or a little heat fixed the problem in 1-2 minutes. About a week ago, I started getting serious shooting pain in my left wrist. I couldn't tie me shoes (not even close). Any pulling or gripping was very painful.

Got a little advise from a doctor. .. aparently, going from 0 hours practice to 30 per week is a bad idea. So after 3 days of no practice and really "babying" my hand, the pains mostly gone. I spend evenings putting ice on my wrist, stretching the muscles and practicing for 2-5 minutes at a time (2-3 times a day) I definately feel when I've had enough.

So here it is, if your just beginning, no matter how much fun it is, be careful and listen to your body!

P.S. Steve Vai better watch out, competitiopns coming (slowly)

Like Nils said, a lot of it is technique. Barre chords can put a lot of strain on the wrist if you're not playing them properly. If your wrist is bend when you are, your technique is off. Work on getting the guitar to the right height (my neck is always angled upwards), especially when you're playing barres.

By the way, I saw you're from Erie. Im pretty close, up in Jamestown (Fredonia when school's in session).

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@1st_act)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all,

I'll be extra careful careful about posture and hand position for awhile. Dl0571, I was in Jamestown a few years ago. It reminded me a lot of Rochester, NY, where I grew up. (I moved to Erie in '89)

Mike

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

The only safe answer is to warm up properly. I heard some horror story a couple of years back of a guy who had to have surgery on his arm to realign a nerve, caused by his not warming up properly. I don't know how genuine that is, but the warning is still valid.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Lets the callouses grow on the tips and the sides of the index finger and WAY TO GO !! :D

ReplyQuote
(@onion_dav)
Eminent Member

yeah it sucks. ive had the same problem lately. not really bad pain but enough so that i cant play as much as id like to. :roll: typical, just as i was getting better aswell! i think its because of playing bar chords when im not used to them.

'i want that one...'

ReplyQuote