Clear all

Set neck or bolt on

41 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Is one type any better than the other? I read that set neck sustains longer but is that the only bad thing about bolt ons? Assuming set necks are better of course.

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Is one type any better than the other? I read that set neck sustains longer but is that the only bad thing about bolt ons? Assuming set necks are better of course.

You forgot neck through :wink: For some people this one's almost a religious war, but the truth of the matter is that if an electric guitar guitar is well built, the neck mount style doesn't have a tremendous affect. The woods it's made of and the pickups will determine the sound.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah.

As for the sustain, the amp/effects have the most effect on that, not the neck type.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, it's a pretty silly debate.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

hmmm, let me see.....
<---------------------- :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

I agree, his bald head can sustain a lot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

One thing I like about bolt on necks is that you can change the neck if it gets broke or you just don't like it. I play a set neck mostly b/c I like the Les Paul looks, but probably like a bolt on neck better.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree, his bald head can sustain a lot!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The glare never ends. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so it doesn't make that much difference. I've been researching a lot of guitars and have narrowed it down to a BC Rich Virgo or a Gibson/Epiphone Flying V. Which brings up another question, which I'm too lazy to make a thread about. What's the difference between an Epiphone Flying V and a Gibson Flying V? Other than $300.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

What's the difference between an Epiphone Flying V and a Gibson Flying V? Other than $300.
Really its just about $300 worth of better wood and improved hardware including the tuners, bridge, pickups and wiring etc. and possibly a little better workmanship but that is debatable.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hardware, pups and maybe the type of wood used.

Which ever you decide, make SURE you try as many of them out as you can. Go to different shops. You will be surprised in the differences with-in the same model.

Happy shopping!

Mike

Edit: You beat me this time Nils. :lol: Only by seconds though. :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yup, what those two morons...-Ok, one, just Mike, said-. Nils is actually pretty smart.

<3 Mike. :lol:

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

OWA. a general rule with any guitar regardless of brand. they are all different in workmanship.
it is important to try as many as you can. if you are looking at Flying V's check out five or more.

when I was looking for my strat I played about a dozen. beside the color differences I found very subtle things that did make a difference. some sounded better. some had a nut that was mis cut,some had a finish flaw, some had losse toggles. all minor but they do effect the way I play.
if a guitar feels and looks sound (well made)tehn they will probably sound good and hold up for a long time.

a good friend showed up at a jam with a new Gibson Exploer. I had been gassing fro that guitar forever. he let me play it. IMO it stunk. the frets were rough on the edges for one thing. the finish didnt look thick enough. and the tone was harsh.
I couldnt believe it. he has since traded it for a different guitar. an Epi I think.

I have heard that Gibson has gone down in quailty. I am not sure as I dont have much experience with new Gibsons. their very highend guitars, on the other hand, are pretty nice. but then your in the 2500$ range and up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Yup, what those two morons...-Ok, one, just Mike, said-. Nils is actually pretty smart.

<3 Mike. :lol:

Awww thats sweet what you said about Mike :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've heard mixed things on Gibson. Some say the quality has gone down while others say their years of experience shows. I've tried two music stores, neither stores had any BC Rich guitars and one store had no Flying V's. The store that did had a Jackson Flying V but I didn't like it. The body was too small, there were no inlays, and it was brown. I might have to order one at this rate.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3