Notifications
Clear all

set up

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

Do I have to have my guitar set up for down tuning half a step? or will it work the way it is. If not what do I need to do to have my guitar set up right for this.

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You shouldn't have any problem tuning down half a step. If you have a floating bridge, it might be a problem, but you'll be able to tell after you've tuned down.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

You should be good to go only a half step. Intonation should still be good. As Musenfreund said, if you have a floating bridge that most likely will need to be adjusted. If it is a Floyd type bridge (double locking) you will need to be sure to keep the bridge level with the guitar body. This will usually mean loosening the claw in the rear cavity. If it is a vintage style Fender type trem you may still be ok. If it raises too far from the body, again the same adjustment from the claw is needed. Some Fender type trems can be stiffer than Floyd type trems so you may still be ok. If you have a fixed bridge then you should have no troubles.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

My guitar has a Tune O matic style bridge. So I do need to have the neck reajusted or anything?

ReplyQuote
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

Ignore my last post I didnt read everyones posts. Thanks for the help.

ReplyQuote
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

I have another qestion about tunning down. What about string gauge? Should I buy a set for down tuning?

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

If you're using fairly normal strings, you should be able to tune down without any problems.

Might be a good idea to do a search (on this helpful forum, for example) of info about set ups.

Just to tune down a half step, I don't think it's likely to be an issue. (I sometimes tune down a half step to play along with Guns and Roses, then tune back up to play along with somebody else, in the same practice session. No problems.)

But, since you're thinking about set up, you might as well learn to check it. If anything changes with your guitar, check the straightness of the neck, string height at various points, the position of the bridge, how to raise and lower saddles (or bridge) and change intonation...

I don't think it's necessary for what you're talking about, but it's easy, fun, and good to be able to do on your own.

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

In what situation would I have to change something on my guitar. If im changing tuning to any alternate tuning would I have to do anthing to my guitar? or can I simply just tune and play.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

With a tune-o-matic bridge you should be fine for alternate tunings. With a floating bridge though, the intonation can change dramatically with alternate tunings and need to be adjusted.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@pscj10)
Topic starter  

thanks for the help. :D

ReplyQuote