Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
214.9 K Views
(@folkgreen)

don't worry or stress yourself as you learn to play your guitar at the level you're aiming for. if you practice as often as you can (and concentrate on what you're doing), you'll get there. your fingers have to get used to the strings. this will eventually become second nature to you. keep in mind there are three basic forms of guitar memory imho. they are: finger memory, eye memory and muscle memory. practice moving from chords that give you trouble s-l-o-w-l-y. i know this can sometimes be hard to do, but you can do it.

to those who feel you're too old to learn to play and/or perform for others, please remove those thoughts out of your head. they're a waste of time. if you really want to learn to play, you "will" make it happen. i was stressed out for a long time because i convined myself i would never be able to teach myself guitar (i couldn't afford lessons.) yet, my desire to learn was so strong i kept going, and going and going. it was a struggle, but, my spirit was determined! teaching myself guitar was the first project i ever started and actually finished.) it gave me a lot of confidence in other areas. i now sing folk music and accompany myself on guitar in front of audiences. it's a great feeling! i even taught myself to fingerpick.

if you keep playing your guitar, you will discover your own guitar style. your creative mind is just waiting to be awakened by all you have to offer artistically. there are people who will be touched by your efforts and music in a positive way! there is a reason your spirit longs to learn to play the guitar (whether you plan to play for yourself or others.) don't be surprised if your goals change as the time goes by. a friend who plays rock guitar had a "guitar breakthrough" when he realized he didn't have to play the guitar like his favorite guitarist.

incredible things happen when we keep things simple. when i say keep things simple, i mean just do your best each time you pactice and don't worry about trying to compete and/or be like someone else. YOU "are" good enough just as you are....no matter what anyone else says. all you need "now" is the continued confidence and knowledge that you "can" reach your goals if you practice daily. we all learn differently and things take time. if others are learning at a quicker pace...that's fine too...as long as you're working on your own skills daily.

remember....it's YOUR guitar. you don't need anyone's permission to play it the way you want to. your guitar style will be good enough, and you will discover new ways to express yourself as you move forward. if it sounds and feels right to you, it's probably just fine. and...don't be afraid of your guitar. it's just a guitar, and it's YOUR guitar.

i didn't know i would go on so long in my post. i hope it will help to motivate someone. please don't give up. each day "you" are getting better :D

i wish you peace.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

I've recently found out that it is not necessary to play note for note a song to make it sound good. It is more important to play it at the right speed, with a steady rhythm and with the exact chord changhes. I had a striking evidence of this almost obvious (for more experienced guitarists) fact playing "Knocking on heaven's door" e "Hotel California" with at least four different patterns without altering the song itself! Now that I received a confirmation of this theory reading and excellent David Hodge lesson, my new obsession will become to firstly understand when the chord change, then to try to apply some strumming similar to the original version

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another thing I learned tonight....work a song out, bring it to a jam session, there are always better players who'll add to it....funny really, get a couple of guitar players together who play from totally different genres, they'll still try and play along with each other....and the good guitarist will always try and teach the other guitarist the chords....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@karla)
Estimable Member

Another thing I learned tonight....work a song out, bring it to a jam session, there are always better players who'll add to it....funny really, get a couple of guitar players together who play from totally different genres, they'll still try and play along with each other....and the good guitarist will always try and teach the other guitarist the chords....

:D :D :D

Vic
gosh reading this topic and especially post like yours vic made me realise I should find some people to play with

one thing to add: when learning to play the guitar, looking things up in a forum is okay, but don't end up spending an hour on reading a topic :P

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

1 PLAY

2 play with other people even if you dont think you are ready yet

3 learn your chord changes, and learn at least one whole song. non guitarists get tired of hearing a bunch of different riffs with no actual songs.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@sw1tch)

Don't buy a used guitar if you don't know anything about guitars.
That was my painful experience...my second hand guitar had strings that you reallllly had to press down on because they weren't close to the riff and that brought my hopes down because I couldnt play even simple stuff.
I got a teacher and he told me to get a new guitar...got one and all of a sudden everything is so much more simpler.

My experience :-/

ReplyQuote
(@rejectedagain)
Estimable Member

what i've learned and it sounds so simple is, don't get discouraged when you can't figure something out, try it later after you get more advanced. that's probably whats been most helpful for me is not getting discouraged, so thats it for me, peace out. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Question about playing with others- how much do you need to have under your belt to undertake this? And where can you find others who might be willing to let a greenhorn play, and what experience level should they be? I'd like really do this when I am ready.

IMO, play as often as you can with anyone you can no matter how bad you are. People can help you so much because of the mistakes they've made...my brother just started playing guitar about a month ago and he's blazing along...I'm telling him not to do all the bad things I did and it's really helping him (keep in mind i've only been palying for a year myself.) You should be able to find some cool people to jam with, most people who play guitar are laid back and don't mind helping out a newbie =P The more you jam, the better you'll probably get...IMO, learn a little theory every day, specifically chord theory, and you'll be halfway to being able to jam well.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

what i've learned and it sounds so simple is, don't get discouraged when you can't figure something out, try it later after you get more advanced. that's probably whats been most helpful for me is not getting discouraged, so thats it for me, peace out. :D

it is so true!!! now I've been able to play a few numbers that just a couple of months ago were out of my possibilities (not that they were so tough it was me who was not enough good)

Another thing: it is necessary to listen to the record to understand the pattern of a song because if you only remember the singing parts it can cause you great mistakes unless in the song there are very recognizable parts (i.e. everybody remembers "Smoke on the water" riff so it can be played without hesitation when you know which frets to touch!)

Matteo

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

If you need a break take it, but don't let it run eight months.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Excellent, excellent thread! Two thumbs WAY up! :D

The things I've learned thus far:

- Don't let your insecurities hamper your desire to play. Everyone has to start somewhere and yes, you're going to sound bad for awhile. Get over it.

- Practice as much as you can. Even a 20 minute noodling session is going to help, so it doesn't always have to be scales and such to be beneficial.

- Surround yourself with other players. It's a big family and most will greet you with open arms.

- If another player snubs his or her nose at you, you don't want to play with them anyway.

- Music is inside all of us. Learn to let it out.

- Try not to think so much.

- Have FUN! It's been said many times already, but IMO it's the most important aspect of playing music.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

I still suck but here is what i have to offer from my 5 months.

Play songs you want to learn. Don't learn twinkle twinkle little star just to learn a song. learn a song that you want to play, not some simple song that you could care less if you learned.

you actually do get better the more you play!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

What I learn is: Turning distortion off makes tuning the guitar A LOT easier. No.......I didn't learn that the hard way..........*runs*

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Don't wash lots of dishes in hot soapy water and then go play, its like murder to your fingers

ReplyQuote
(@jubby)
Trusted Member

Don't wash lots of dishes in hot soapy water and then go play, its like murder to your fingers
I did that once

never again will I make that mistake, guitar strings shred fingers that are pruny

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 26