Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
214.8 K Views
(@Anonymous)

I didn't read this whole thread so I hope these weren't already posted...This is what I learned in 3 months and NOT 800 days so I hope it still counts!

*Record yourself right from the beginning. It's amazing how much easier it is to hear your progress when you aren't concentrating on playing. Also let others HEARyour recordings so they can point out mistakes you may not have noticed AND tell you you are better than you probably think you are!

*Even if you think you are not that great play for others...even NON guitar players or NON musicians. I did this last week when I brought my guitar to work and my 2 co-workers were VERY impressed with my progress.

*My biggest challenge is to NOT be so hard on myself. I tend to expect perfection in myself with everything I do...not just guitar. This puts so much pressure on yourself you end up stressing yourself out. Understand it takes time to learn something new...ALLOW progress to take it's course!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You can't rush things.Either you love it or not , you have to get through the progress and if you take it the positive way you can really have the joy of learning.(now on to takeshi's castle blaring on the TV :lol: :lol: )

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

don't get drunk and punch things. a broken hand hinders your playing.

ReplyQuote
(@wishiwasthebest)
Estimable Member

well, atleast in my case, wait 30 minutes to an hour after being in water, aka shower.... playing guitar before that wipes my callouses right away...ESPECIALLY acoustic.

RIP Dimebag

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

When sitting at the computer always have your guitar on your lap.Its amazing how much you can practice whilst reading this forum or waiting for pages to load.

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

When sitting at the computer always have your guitar on your lap.Its amazing how much you can practice whilst reading this forum or waiting for pages to load.
Unless of course yo have a cable modem :D

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Unless of course yo have a cable modem :D
Does that actually cause a problem? The only thing I can think of is the the guitar picks up the frequency from the cable. I have wireless to my cable modem and have had no trouble.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I think he might have meant the pages will load fast if you have a cable modem :P You must be a perfectionist to think interference from the cable modem might cause a problem :)

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I think he might have meant the pages will load fast if you have a cable modem :P You must be a perfectionist to think interference from the cable modem might cause a problem :)

oktay :lol: :lol: :lol:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I have only been learning for about 12 months and the one big thing I have learnt is patience

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@brooklynmitch)

[
I began playing this last February at the age of 47. It is hard, frustrating and I love playing, or practicing in my case. I began playing scales to my blues songs. When I get frustrated trying to learn barr cords I revert back to playing along with my music, primarily the blues. The suggestions from everyone are great!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

oktay :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am a perfectionist, sorry.

And, the signals from a computer can and will cause interference with an electric guitar. It can cause feedback from the radio frequencies that are emitted, especially when connected to a cable modem. If you want to test the concept take a remote control that has a light in it, turn the light on and hold it near the body of the guitar and you will hear it in the amp.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

When the Mrs says " you always play that same old thing..." tell her, "That's just my warm-up riff...."
Half an hour later, when she says "You're just playing the same old thing," tell her "No - That was in E, this one's in Bb...."
And if she can't tell the difference, either kill her or throw her out the door......
Anyone who can't tell the difference between a slow blues in E, and a slow blues in Bb, deserves no sympathy whatsoever.....

:D :D :D

Vic

(Unless, of course, they've only just started playing, or not been playing long.......)

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

That it's OK to put it down for a while. It won't go anywhere...

(I am not being facetious: guitar playing is addictive!)

later,

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@arien-uruviel)

lolz... i just started playing today... went online to find random free lesson sites.... ended up here somehow... and now im trying to consume everything in my path that has the word "guitar" or anything remotely related to it.... XP
buh i can only play my basic, basic chords.... if it weren't for the fact that i noe piano, violin, and viola, i woulda given up about 2 hours ago...^.^

There is more stupidity than
hydrogen in the universe,
and it has a longer shelf life

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 26