Clear all

[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
214.8 K Views
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

One day you feel like giving up as the frustration of not being able to hit a certain chord after weeks and weeks of trying, then the next day, you pick up your guitar, look at the tab and play without looking at your hands and.... :shock: you hit the chord.... so, you put the guitar down, scratch your head, walk around the room a bit and sit down and try it again... :shock: hit it again... hit it again...miss :( yes, :) miss :( .....hit :) - a bit like Juke Box Jury (an old music quiz show - look it up on YouTube).

It's on a barre F but I can then go to Bmaj7 to F#m to G - I FEEL ON TOP OF THE WORLD :D :D :D (and it helps play quite a few more tunes)

Ok, they're not perfect by any stretch of the imagination and they're all down the 'easy' end of the neck, but I tell you, I feel i've turned a corner today and i want to share it with you.

So I can't dance around the fretboard and get clear barres when practicing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but what the heck, I now know that one day I WILL get them....

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

So I can't dance around the fretboard and get clear barres when practicing While My Guitar Gently Weeps, but what the heck, I now know that one day I WILL get them....

You certainly will, with that attitude! Rock On, Dylan!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

. . . after weeks and weeks of trying, then the next day, you pick up your guitar, look at the tab and play without looking at your hands and.... :shock: you hit the chord.... so, you put the guitar down, scratch your head, walk around the room a bit and sit down and try it again... :shock: hit it again...
What did you have for breakfast?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

Porridge... :shock:

Dont' ask... :roll:

Rock on!
D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

What key are you playing "While My Guitar" in? I don't remember there being that many barres in it?

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I think it's A?

It's the Dave Hodge lesson.

I still don't know how to work out how you know what key a song is in.... :roll:

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
(@shadyharrison)
Reputable Member

I don't have any idea either. (David? Cue lesson. :))

Take care,

Casey

ReplyQuote
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member

I believe it is A minor because the opening chord is an A minor. Also, if you look at the key signature there are no sharps or flats, indicating that the key is either C Major or its relative, A minor. Plus, it just sounds like a minor key song. :-)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@jbiafra)

learn open position major chords, starting with C, G, and F. then learn D, E, and A. then learn Amin and Emin. then learn A and E pattern barre chords, followed by Amin and Emin barre chords. then learn power chords. while you're playing around in power chords, learn some theory. don't get stuck using power chords for everything

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

Lol I learned exactly ( well not exactly ) the opposite way, first I learned power chords, then open chords then barre chords, and now I'm using C barre chords ( moving down the C shape ).

Now I'm playing around with those and then next on maybe I'll learn something else o.o, maybe some picking techniques

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member

I have to laugh at so many things I thought of as reality, when I first started playing, and was not. I was angry at my guitar teacher in that he could not tell me what he was doing. I mean, isn't that an expectation for a newbie? I thought so.

But, after a few years of playing, I found out that was not the case. Players play and VERY often don't know what they are doing. Why? Instinct. And hours behind the instrument.

This is my list of vital ingredients:

Timing.

If you don't have both control and flair in your timing you've got nothing. You need good timing to play with others and to create any kind of musical impression effectively.

Instinct.

As Corbind said you have to get your playing to the level where it's happening instinctively. You can't keep thinking "play a B then an F#... put my ring finger on the fourth fret of the third string..." it's got to become completely instinctive and automatic.

Touch.

Good playing is more than just hitting the right notes in the correct order. There must be subtlety and variation in the dynamics. Developing good 'touch' (which I'd put down as a blend of placement, balance, and degrees of force) is a major goal for me.

Style.

Last, but not least, I want my playing to have some style. Not just a personal style that sounds like me, rather than a copy of someone else's playing, but also that hard to define quality that sets apart the merely technically proficient from the expressive and artistic.

So that's my goal. Timing, Instinct, Touch and Style. It's nice to be able to put some balls into your playing, but don't ignore the T.I.T.S. The Yin and yang of music I guess. :wink:

Cheers,

Chris

Hell yes! lol

But I really have to agree with the timing thing, one perfectly placed note can sound better than a flurry of notes just thrown into the air, kinda like Jeff Beck, he didn't do anything too excentric or crazy but he sure as heck sounded good.

And about the knowing thing, I really always like to know what I'm doing :roll: xD I dunno I just like it to be able to say so next I'm doing an A add 9 b 5 ( I'm still not sure what the b stands for O_O if anybody can tell me, bemol ? ).

The same with scales, I have discovered that you can play pretty much everywhere on the fretboard for anything if you know what exact notes you are supposed to be hitting, and you don't have to be in the same key, sometimes you use a for example the scale of the Relative Minor of whatever Key its in for a different sound.

But I like to know what I'm doing so that I can teach it to other people correctly.

I get so annoyed when I'm playing with other people and they can't tell me the name of the chord they are using, or whatever they are doing so that i can atleast look it up on the internet.

Wow what a pointless rant O_O xD

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

b=flat so the b5 is the flatted 5th

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member

I HATE MUSCLE MEMORY :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

For a year and a half I've been messing around with Dust in the Wind and somewhere along the line I've gone from Travis picking to some kind of arpeggio fingering. :roll: Now I'm trying to play it with the correct picking pattern and I just can't play the bloody thing...Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rock on!
D 8)

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I feel the frustration . . . I thought I would never get it also.
Keep at it. But just do 10 minutes a day . . . anymore than that probably doesn't matter.
I still mess up when an errant finger decides to do something spastic . . . usually my third finger.
I've just recently started messing with different finger patterns . . . there's a wealth of Youtube lessons on fingerpicking.
That type of guitar playing really fills in the song beautifully.
I think I'm going to work on 'the clawhammer" . . . I kid you not . . . that's the name of the pattern.
It's used to play Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright"

(P.S. Also see this post: https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7627&start=285#p404877 )

ReplyQuote
Page 22 / 26