Clear all

[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
214.8 K Views
(@apparition)
Trusted Member

I decided to start learning solos by learning to play a couple cool ones that someone already wrote so I'm learning sweet child o mine. I thought I was making progress until I took some advice and started practicing with a metronome. I learned that the opening lick that I thought I had down is something I really didn't have down. Can't even play it at 53 bpm. Oh well, back to square one :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@doremifa)
Estimable Member

I'm sure this has been said before but always worth a repeat.

A little practice goes a long way. Even 10 minutes a day doing scales or chord progressions will make a huge difference within a month. I'm doing a routine now so it helps, 15mins a day doing more technical things like learning scales and notes on the fretboard... then 45 minutes every 2nd day to practice songs... added to that random drunken playing/recording :D

Not giving up is half the battle, if you stay dedicated you're 50% there!

When improvising, it helps to put your feelings into it. Take whatever you're feeling and transfer that into your playing. It's a great communication tool or a stress relief.

Download a bunch of cheat sheets and posters: http://stevesmusiclist.com/

ReplyQuote
(@forestofillusions)

Awesome responses. One of the most important things I've learned from guitar is patience. Pretty much anytime you want to get really good at something, it's going to take time. I remember when I was 15 and wanted to sweep pick, but i wanted it to come immediately. I basically would cut corners, missing half the notes I was attempting to play. It sounded pretty cool at the time but eventually I realized that I wanted every note to clearly be heard. That was definitely challenging, playing every note as well as i could (which, in the beginning, meant playing it very, very slowly) in order to play really, really fast. But I learned to trust the process by taking my time. Eventually i did get really fast, and actually, the fact that it didn't happen in an instant was a thousand times more rewarding. I wouldn't have felt the pride that came with taking the time to learn it correctly had i been given a magic wand to begin with.

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

Learn how to set up, repair and maintain your guitar.

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

just let your fingers make music on their own, without you mentally guiding them. you'll be surprised. sometimes i pick a song to play, sometimes i just pick a key, sometimes not even that.

ReplyQuote
(@darklite)

My top 10 tips:

1. Be patient, it takes awhile.
2. Be patient, it takes awhile.
3. Be patient, it takes awhile longer.
4. Don't compare yourself to others. Not everyone learns at the same rate, or in the same style. Some people are born with a pick in their hand; that's just the way it is.
5. Relax, and don't tense up when learning something new, ie, speed picking, strumming, chording etc. Remember to breathe, catch yourself tensing, and slow down. I still tense up, but now I catch myself doing it. It's only natural when you're getting a good run going and your head is saying: "don't mess up now, keep going faster and get it right!" I used to have bad guitar habits I knew for a fact that I'd never be able to break. With practice, I'd broken those habits! It's possible. If you absolutely cannot break a habit, youtube some pro's like Clapton, Page, Hendrix, and watch how they play. It's amazing how many people don't always follow the correct procedures.

6. Scales, modes, and boxes will overwhelm you; don't let them. Take them one at a time. Make them your friends and before long, they will be

7. Boredom is your biggest enemy. My biggest love and ambition is blues, but I often get discouraged because I can't play like Stevie Ray Vaughan, or I can't seem to learn new licks. Move around in styles, you'd be surprised how much fun it can be to play "out of your comfort zone" and try something new. I played around with old timey swing jazz. My dexterity and creativity with scales improved tremendously. I also find tremendous creative challenges messing around with goth ethereal music, and ambient electric. It makes me experiment with chording. Most anything out there, even if it's not your favorite, presents challenges. Try country or new age; play around with any, and everything.

8. Put some time in. Start off with 5-10 minutes a day, everyday. Pick up that guitar, make friends with it. It's like weight lifting, or working out. The more you do it, the better it gets.

9. Think about chords, scales, and styles when you're not playing. Think about notes on the neck, where they are, where a B position is, or an A. Think about the feel of the guitar, the look, or even a song you're wanting, or currently trying to learn.

10. The most important tip IMHO: get a teacher. A good guitar teacher will encourage you. Do the homework, and don't let him/her down. They will get you down the road!

ReplyQuote
(@guitaringenuity)
Eminent Member

Sometimes, I feel playing the guitar is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It has certainly changed the way I listen to music in general, which has become more analytical/critical. When I listen to a new song now, I kind of automatically start to 'disect' it in my mind, which sometimes takes away from being actually able to just enjoy what I'm hearing.

But playing guitar certainly also broadened and elevated my appreciation for different genres across the board. When I started playing some 25 years ago or so, I was narrow-minded to say the least - my muscial horizon was limited to Blues and Hard-Rock - I've since come a long way and genres like classic, jazz, funk, just as important.

Free Lifetime Access to the Guitar-Video Chordbank: http://guitaringenuity.com/squeeze1/
My Online Beginners Guitar Course: http://guitaringenuity.com/guitar-courses/beginners-guitar-course
(Coupons for Guitar Noise Members available - please PM me)

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Sometimes, I feel playing the guitar is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It has certainly changed the way I listen to music in general, which has become more analytical/critical. When I listen to a new song now, I kind of automatically start to 'disect' it in my mind, which sometimes takes away from being actually able to just enjoy what I'm hearing.

But playing guitar certainly also broadened and elevated my appreciation for different genres across the board. When I started playing some 25 years ago or so, I was narrow-minded to say the least - my muscial horizon was limited to Blues and Hard-Rock - I've since come a long way and genres like classic, jazz, funk, just as important.
I went through much the same thing. I call it a blessing though. It did make me revisit a lot of songs I knew in the past, and can now enjoy them more. It has also opened me up to much more music, and I was pretty wide spread to start with. For example... Wile the country music world was never a hit with me, now I can appreacheate a lot of the good stuff that is out there... same with bluegrass.. Wile my heart still lives with the Rock/blues/folk world... Ive now seen that a lot more crosses over, and that there is a whole world of music out there that I never knew about, that playing has opened up.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@guitaringenuity)
Eminent Member

s1120, yes, I know exactly what you mean.

Free Lifetime Access to the Guitar-Video Chordbank: http://guitaringenuity.com/squeeze1/
My Online Beginners Guitar Course: http://guitaringenuity.com/guitar-courses/beginners-guitar-course
(Coupons for Guitar Noise Members available - please PM me)

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

The importance of being able to count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & and knowing what count to start a song on.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rawdawg)

Some really great tips here, Still have about 10 pages to read! Thanks a lot guys! :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@sirdrdre)

This was seriously helpful! Thank you guys!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Some really great tips here, Still have about 10 pages to read! Thanks a lot guys! :mrgreen:

After 12 years of tips posted, yep, there's a lot of reading...

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@addseo1115)

Thanks for posting the great info here.
I have enjoyed with your posts.
I am a new member around here.

ReplyQuote
(@guitartoday)

The first you select to leaning guitar is most important
I have 10 year experience play guitar. So I would like recommenced for Beginners top 3 best beginner guitar below ( Source : ** Moderator edit - link removed **)

1. Yamaha FG700S Acoustic Guitar

2. Fender SA-100 Upgrade Acoustic Guitar Pack

3. Yamaha C40 GigMaker Classical Acoustic Guitar
And your fingers hurts alway happen with Beginner Guitar Player.
It is a challenge for player, especial a girl player.
But keep in your mind that, Don't give up.
You Will Become A Pro Player

Help You Find Best Beginner Guitar http://bestbeginnerguitartoday.com

ReplyQuote
Page 25 / 26