Clear all

[Sticky] --> Share things you've learned about guitar

386 Posts
204 Users
0 Likes
214.8 K Views
(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

I figure we might compensate by possessing greater discipline in our 40s than I know I had in my teens or 20s.
Tim

Hey, I resemble that remark! Really, it is true for me. I acvtually did try to learn when I was in my 20's but didn't stick with it. Nowadays, I'm much better at sticking to a practice schedule, not getting frustrated about how much time it seems to take to learn things, etc., etc. and it'sstarting to pay off; I really feel in only a month and a half I've made some decent progress.

Question about playing with others- how much do you need to have under your belt to undertake this? And where can you find others who might be willing to let a greenhorn play, and what experience level should they be? I'd like really do this when I am ready.

If you have a few basic chords down and can hold down a steady rhythm you can play with others. Try to find folks that are much better than you. Many of them are more than willing to share their knowledge and help you out. All you have to do is ask. Worst that can happen is they tell you no. Finding them? CHeck any local open mics, or places that have live music. The guitar shop is a great place to meet others. ALso check the bulletin boards at the shops. If you want to take it this far; take out a small classified ad in your local paper.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

One thing: If you have a guitar with a Flyod Rose and locking nuts, replacing all the strings takes LONG and is STRESSFUL. lol. Cant exactly do that each time one breaks.

A tip: Try figuring out music and tabbing it out yourself as much as possible from an early start, rather than getting tabs all the time. It traines your ear.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

My bad Simon, trem guitar did not even come to mind. I've changed the strings for the lead guitar player who (when playing electric at practice) uses a horrible trem guitar. I tell him before I change the strings "I'll tune it up as close as I can then I'm gonna give it to you." I hate them because I cut on string off, put a new one on, tune, then all the others are out of tune. Besides that, he insists putting 12's on that guitar when it originally came with 9's. Last week I finally convinced him to have me put 11's on it. You'd laugh if you saw how "up" the trem block is.

So, if you use a whammy bar, change one string at a time. I'd be in total fear to change them all at once. Ahhhhhhhhh....

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Moonrider, 10 Guitar cords?

It might be just me but, could you explain why so many guitar cords.

The different lengths let me adjust for the stage size, plus I've got spares for me, the bass player, the other guitar player, and any special friends that might show and get dragged on stage ;)

I'm a suspenders AND belt kind of guy....

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

Dennis

Good topic and post. I would add a corrollary (sp?) to your fist bullet:

* You're never too old to start learning/playing guitar

8)

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I hear you on that. I only said start young but that's just in hindsight. I can laugh when I see someone who's 16 saying “I wish I had started when I was 14” only because I'm 36. Now if I say, “I wish I had started ten years ago” a player who just starts at 56 can laugh at my comment. It is all relative to age.

Unfortunately, I think life early on is fast and furious. There are so many interests and things to do that guitar might be an on-again-off-again thing for a year then quit and move on to the next fancy. Even if I had started 15 years ago I don't think I would have stuck with it. Now that I'm a bit older and my life is not hectic, I think it's easier to stick with it.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Never take a helicopter ride nor fly in small planes. Thats just common sense nowadays.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@anubis)
Eminent Member

I`ve been playing for 2+ years, since I was about 16. It`s been great...I also take classical guitar lessons, just passed my seccond year exam... so in november I`ll start my third and last year. The give up theory about giving up when you are young is also relative...it depends on the person. Playing guitar gets me relaxed and helps me think better. When you have a problem or when you`re happy it`s good to pick up your guitar and just strum a few chords. You might get the next top 10 Hit or not...but you`ll defenetly feel better afterwards and maybe you`ll make others feel better aswell. Also here are a few tips I learnd during my couple of years of playing:
:wink:

* learn to read notation (I know it`s beend said before but it`s worth it), I`m not talking about tablature, I`m talking about notes and stuff. I found out it is easier to learn the notes (learn to read the notes faster while you play) if you just set 10 minutes of your time in the morning and 10 at night of just reading a sheet of music whitout your guitar. Just speak the notes out loud. You don`t have to sing them, just speak them. You`ll learn to read faster, more acuratley and you`ll get better eye, fretting hand coordination.

* learn alot of scales, even if you are not a lead guitar player, this way you`ll learn the fretboard much easier and you`ll be able to read any music sheet and play anything.

* Spend as much time playing while standing up as you do sitting down.

* If you try to learn something before going to sleep or at any time of day and you just can`t seem to get it right just get some rest, get some sleep or take a walk...you`ll see you`ll do better in the morning or after your walk.

* Try and play the guitar everyday. When you find yourself at the computer or watching TV try to pick up your guitar and strum chords or play any song while watching TV.

* Always remember that it is more important to practice just for a few minutes, but do it every day, than to practice 3 or 4 hours only on saturdays of every week.

* Practice, practice and practice again...eventually you`ll get it. :wink:

* If you can`t find someone to play with (which is very important) try and get Guitar Pro. This is a great program. You can download tablatures from http://www.mysongbook.com and the program will just play them for you aswell as show you tablature and standard notation of the song. You can also learn the lead or rythmic guitar and than mute it in the program so you can play along with the drums, the bass and voice just like playing with someone. It will help you learn songs better and it will also help your understanding of timing when playing with others.

* Also always keep a pen with you and maybe a small notebook. You can write down chords other people teach you and you can also tab your own riffs. What if you jam with a friend and you invent this really cool riff but you can`t record it or write it down...you`ll eventually forget it. So pen and paper are also very important.

If I dig up anymore tips and tricks I`ll let you know...that`s about all for now. :D

P.S. Excelent topic Corbind!

Life is ours,we live it our way!

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

* Also always keep a pen with you and maybe a small notebook. You can write down chords other people teach you and you can also tab your own riffs. What if you jam with a friend and you invent this really cool riff but you can`t record it or write it down...you`ll eventually forget it. So pen and paper are also very important.

I do this. I use a small one that I can tuck in my back pocket between my wallet and my... me. I'll take it out, draw a staff, and write music when I'm bored. Horn music, mostly.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

In the Army I learned you should carry a pen and small pad wherever you go. A little extra weight, but better than having to go somewhere to get either.

ReplyQuote
(@psychonik)
Reputable Member

*dig into some theory everyday,even if you dont understand what your reading, it will still be benificial

*re-read the theory you have read. It will make more sense, and things come together over time.

*record yourself. If possible, bring a small tape deck that records to your jam sessions.

*survival kits are ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL!
In mine, i carry picks, 2 sets of strings (for each guitar) string winder. tuner (1 in each case) truss rod allan keys, floating bridge system allan keys, patch cables (for efx),cloth in each case, toothpicks, toothbrush, line reducers (1/4 inch plug to the small one and vice versa), notebook & pen, Graphite for led pencil, halls (for doing vocal stuff that might strain my voice) changable end screwdriver, allan key for adjusting action on non-floating trem guitars, needlenose plyers and small sidecutters, big plyers for tightening my stubborn and very miserable tremolo arm. My stuff like that is usually jammed into the compartments of my guitar case.

*dont let random hippies use your guitar, especially if thier intoxicated and dont realize exactly how hard they're hitting your new $20 set of elixer strings, until the nanofilm is ripped from the string, and any really good tone they had is lost.

*jam alot

*practise sslllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww. It's more important to execute perfect and efortless motions than go lightning fast, have excess tension that needn't be there, and suffer from not being able to play guitar because you have severe RSI. Make your muscles memorize the efortless motion, so they can move fast effortlessly.

that's all i can think of, plus it's 5:30 am, ive been up all night, and i have places to go this afternoon, so i need sleep.

oh, yeah:

*do not forget to eat or sleep because you have become entranced by the guitar and cannot stop playing it. If you find yourself in that situation, you need help.... but the good news is youve come to the right place... Welcome to Axeholics Annonymous! (to those who remember that thread.)

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

All nighters are quite fun (and beneficial).

Practice all the time. I dont care if you have no guitar at hand. Just go through theory or something in your head.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

This is odd. I have been playing guitar for 32 years now. I have played almost every single day. When I saw this topic, I really didn't know what to write.

I guess all I can say is that guitar is a good friend that has stuck with me.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jazzarati_1567859490)

What I've learned?

*There is no guitar

Unfortunately coming to that realisation took a lot more than 4 words.

Work for perfection everyday, everyday you will get closer

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There is no guitar

Different strokes, I guess... I have found that when I play my best, there is no 'me' - there is only the guitar, and I am its instrument. It tells me what to do, and I do it.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 26