Clear all

Sheet Music Suggestions?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@reasonableman)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to work on my sight reading, for that I could really do with some sheet music.

Could some one suggest either a site I can get it from. Or a particular piece that is suitable for guitar.

I don't really can to just go and buy any old sheet music from a shop because I don't want to waste money on a nook that I can't use.

EDIT: just to make it clear I don't want a book with the TAB in it...

(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

I found this site, that has some good info. It's some guys personal page, but found some info on it. http://members.tripod.com/~johncomino/songs.htm

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

What you read matters a bit - it's frustrating to try to parse out something you're not ready for (like irregular divisions, or reading in six accidentals when you've only done two or three) - but as long as the music is appropriate, quantity matters more than quality.

You get good at reading by always putting fresh music in front of you. Once you've played through something even a couple of times, your ear starts to take over, and you're doing as much or more remembering as reading.

So the key to developing reading skills is to have a lot of music. Fake books are good - most have 300-1200 different tunes in them. They're pricey books, at $20-50 apiece new, but per tune they're a bargain. You can also get music from the local library - read piano music (treble clef only). That'll give you plenty of chords and double stops. You generally won't see notes below 6th string G (often 5th string B), or notes much above 1st string C-D (8th/10th frets), but piano stuff will give you a good workout in the midrange, lots of double stops, and usually some decent vertical chord reading - and libraries tend to have a lot of piano music in all genres.

You can get high register stuff from violin or flute music. Try used bookstores - you can sometimes pick up folios for other instruments for less than a buck. It doesn't even matter if it's for a transposing instrument, like sax or trumpet, as long as you're not doing it as a duet... only the clef matters. Stay away from stuff like viola or cello that use other clefs, and you'll get a good workout with whatever you find.

When I was dirt poor, I'd sometimes try to read what sheet music I had backwards (it's quite a challenge!) so I'd get two sight reading drills for the price of one :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote