Shifting btw barre chords

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I can play barre chords as i have posted earlier but besides the problem in shifting them up the neck , there is one more glorious hinderance.I cannot at all shift between 6th and 5th string barre chords.Also it seems impossible to shift between open chords and barre chords.I try a lot but lose the shape almost always resulting in a huge delay.(eg. how to shift btw Bm to F# , and Cmaj to Fmaj , and Gmaj to F#).Helppppp... :shock:

Rahul

(@tamuka)
Eminent Member

Practice and more practice. I finally got it after playing an open G followed by Bm (GGGG-BmBmBmBm in simple DUDU/DUDU pattern) for a straight hour, stopping only to stretch my fingers and muscles. The key is that the barring finger and fretting fingers must land at the same time. Start off slowly if you have to.

Bm to F#m should be easy. On Bm, my index finger touches the 6th string just enough to mute it; so a teeny shift of your barring finger without releasing the barre, while simultaneously moving your middle & ring fingers should get you to F#.

The practice is boring, but it'll get you there. The "We Wish You A Merry X-mas" progression is also good practice. It goes:

G-G-G/C-C-C/A-A-A/D-D-D/B-B-B/Em-Em-Em/C-C-D/G

G, A, B use the E-shape barre (barre at 3rd, 5th & 7th frets resp.)
C, D use the A shape barre (at 3rd and 5th fret)
Em use the Am shape barre (at 7th fret)
If you wish, you can replace the A, B, D chords with their 7th chords.

Three strums per measure, all downstrokes and this should help with your problem.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Try playing open chords. Rest your index finger behind the nut and play E, then move to A (most people barre this chord).

When you're happy with that, try playing an open E, then moving up 3 frets and playing a barre G.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member

It too me a LONG time to get the hang of Barre Cords too. Actually mine are still pretty rough.

I play acoustic, I don't know if you do or not.

If you are playing acoustic, then if you have access to an electric give it a try there for awhile. I found it much easier to practice the change on my brother's electric then use those motions with a little more strength on the acoustic when I had it down.

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

When you make your E chord use your middle, ring and pinkie leaving your index finger free, then by sliding the E chord to the proper fret and dropping your index finger you have the barre. Same for the A position, barre your open A chord with your ring finger, then for the barre again slide to the correct fret and drop your index finger. Once you are confortable with those 2 positions you can begin working in the minor forms and the 7ths.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote