Clear all

Should I just quit playing?

22 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been playing for around 10 months or around that amount of time so far, and although I have improved greatly, I'm still nowhere where I want to be.

Lately, when I play, all I think about is wishing I could play something that actually sounds nice, and not just some chord progression, or some repetitious solo on a scale. There's generally just no innovation, and not really any creativity into what I start playing. I never like the sound of it, and just the sound of myself playing guitar deters me from playing at all.

It's no longer any fun to me. I'm just constantly reminded of wanting to be able to play something better. I mean, it's not particularly a question of skill per se, aside from speed, it's just that whatever I think may sound cool, I can't play, and if I can play it, it doesn't actually even sound good.

So, right now, it's just annoying to hear myself play, and that really makes it harder to keep practicing. I know people will always say, "Don't give up," but the more I try to persevere, the more I get more annoyed with how much I suck.

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Nope, go ahead and give up. Temporarily

Learning to play the guitar is a life long process. If you feel this bad at 10 months, maybe now is not the time for you to learn.

Put it down. Come back in a few months. Guitar isn't a competition, it's a striving to get better.

If you have lost the joy in striving to get better, then wait until you get it back.

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I have been playing guitar for over 25 years and I am nowhere near where I want to be and after this amount of time it's fairly likely I never will be. As frustrating as it can be at times I absolutely love learning something new, I improve daily at a snails pace but continously strive to get better even at a slow pace.

There's no race, some learn much quicker than others it's just the way it is, either way you need to want to just play the guitar more than just want to be a great guitarist. Try find something new to inspire you if your stuck in a rut and just enjoy the learning.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@j-rock)
Estimable Member

Have you tried lessons? They might help.

I can look back with a smile, knowing that my ambition far exceeded my talent.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

SagaciousKJB2

This might sound harsh but MAKE IT SOUND GOOD.

As frustrated as you are, you have it within you to be a good guitarist. I know this because you are LISTENING. You have a good ear. That is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It is a curse because you can hear and tell when it doesn't sound right. And that can really get to you. But that is also a great quality, because your ear can tell you when it's RIGHT.

Sounds like you are a little burned out on practicing progressions and scales. Learn just songs for awhile. Start with some easy 3 or 4 chord songs. There are plenty right here on this sight. Get a good beat going, and if you can sing (or even if you can't), sing them out.

Do you know someone else who plays? Get a jam going. Then you will be having fun and it won't be so frustrating.

As far as your music sounding bad, figure out the reason why. Do you have poor timing? Is your strumming sloppy? Hey, I've been playing over 30 years and this is what I do. I try to figure out why it sounds bad and correct it. I hear the bad stuff just like you. Make it work for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Sagacious, I know exactly where you're coming from. There are days and weeks when I feel like I'll never be where I want to be. I'm sure that happens to most of us. But one good evening where I make just the slightest breakthrough gives me hope.

Take a break if you must, but don't get down on yourself. We've all been there (well, most of us at least).

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Well, as others have said, take a break. It seems like you're burned out. Try taking a week off, try it again, and see where you stand.

Of course every guitarist is different, but I find that I need to take a day off once a week. Just to do other things and get my mind off guitars. When I get back to it I'm refreshed, and feel better about my playing. You need to find a balance between play and regular life, what that balance is depends entirely on you.

Have you considered lessons? You might want to go to a few to get some hands on direction from a teacher that can help you with things you can't fix yourself. And it might just be that you're pushing yourself too far and expecting too much for the ammount of time you've been playing. I'm personally coming into my 10th or 11th month of playing, too. I'm going to start learning more songs and expanding my horizons in that respect. I've got a lot of the tools to play, I just have to start applying those tools to songs.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So, tell us, what do other people think about your playing?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

That my friend is an excellent question.

I don't play Blackbird all that much anymore, except as a stretching warmup. Personally, I've heard it a million times and I think of it as nothing much. However, when people hear me play it, they all say, "WOW, that is so cool"

So my perception and their's is completely different.

I also admit than whenever I'm presented with something new, I look at my current skills and think I suck. Then I just go and learn the new thing. That sense of satisfaction stays until I run into the next new thing.

But as Alan says, check what others think. I guarantee you they think better of you than you do.

ReplyQuote
 kjk
(@kjk)

don't pressure yourself so much. i've been playing on and off (mostly off) forever. i still don't feel comfortable playing in front of people.

record yourself. put it down for a while. then listen to the recording.

ReplyQuote
(@sinister_hack)
Eminent Member

I know what you mean although I don't share the feelings to the same extent. My advice would be to try something different.

If you don't take lessons, take a couple. If you always play alone, find someone to play with. Make playing fun.

My playing really disappoints me sometimes because I want to be so much better. It bums me out. But then I'll learn a blues tune in my lesson and jam on it with my teacher. I'm just playing a lame, easy rythm while he plays lead but the act of playing WITH someone makes it so much cooler.

When you're playing solo you're guitar is all that's heard and has to sound good for the some to be any good. When you play with others, especially if they are better than you, you're just a piece of the puzzle. You can just play decently and the whole sound is great!

It may recharge your batteries some.

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member

This has happened to me on many occasions......when I feel like I suck and want to quit I usually "shut it down" for a few days and then come back and make a breakthrough/cross a hurdle/etc.......you name the cliche......

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I have felt like that at times and then I put it down for a few days and it helps get you back into learning more, I also try easier stuff that does not take as much effort but sounds good, there was somebody on this forum that wrote the most simple songs can be the most rewarding if it touches alot of people, He mentioned the beatles alot of their songs were simple but alot of the world took to it, same with John Fogerty of CCR not to hard but hit alot of people still popular today all of them , so it don't have to be hard to be a good song.

:D

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I fully agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far. Taking a breather or exploring more music definitely revives some interest, but I'll also throw in something else I do occasionally: and that is get excited about equipment.

I know it's not exactly artistic, but the occasional trip to Guitar Center or my local shop to bang around on some instruments that I couldn't/wouldn't buy can really jazz me up. I find myself playing entirely differently when I get on a type of guitar I don't actually own.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Mate, you are being a bit too harsh on yourself.

Have you ever recorded your stuff? In my case, I was delighted to hear the recording of a simple chord progression. For reasons beyond my understanding, it sounded much better than the live version. Give it a shot.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2