Clear all

Shoulder Pain

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Lately whenever i play i've been getting pains in my shoulder. It's not from playing to long because its there when i'm not playing and worse when i am. It feels like the pains in my shoulder joint, i guess where it rotates. Then sometimes i get these sharp pains in around my shoulder blade. Do you guys suggest trying stretching first??? Hopefully you guys can help because if i take one more ibuprofen i'm gonna freak out.

(@guitarteacher)
Trusted Member

Unless it is a chronic condition, pain is an indication of doing something wrong (I am always leary of using the terms right and wrong, but, in this case, wrong applies). Stretching will not help, imo. Examine your technique or have a qualified instructor or physician diagnose the problem.

I wish you well.

GT

If you want to be good, practice. If you want to be great, you must constantly change the way you think.

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

This is one of those instances where having a teacher is invaluable! A teacher would be able to spot the problem quickly and advise you how to correct it. My advice is to seek out a teacher, before you cause yourself some severe muscle pain.

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I do have a teacher, 2 in fact and I seem to have good technique. I don't think its from guitar but playing guitar aggrevates it, and was wondering if any of you have suggestions for getting rid of the pain like stretches, warm-ups, etc....

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I'm a physical therapist and I say, see a doctor. It could be anything from a rotator cuff tear, to torn cartilage, to repetitive stress syndrome, to tendonitis. The fact that it's sharp pain is worrisome and the faft that you don't think playing is the cause is also worrisome.

ReplyQuote