Skip to content
Shouldn't I start w...

Notifications
Clear all

Shouldn't I start with electric if its what I want to play?

37 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
 Iggy
(@iggy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade (I'm 14 now) I tried to play electric guitar before, but I didn't take lessons and gave up. I no longer have the guitar. My 15th birthday is next month, so I made a deal with my mom that they would get me the guitar and I would buy the accessories. Now my dad says that he won't let me get a guitar until I learn on his acoustic. I want to play rock and metal with distortion. Shouldn't I start with the type of songs that I really like listening to? THnaks.

Brad

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I agree with you. You won't be that into it if you don't have the gear you want, that makes the sounds you like, to play the music you're into. Hope it all works out, and have a great birthday.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@guitarninja)
Eminent Member

I think your dad just wants to make sure that you'll stick with it before he spends hundreds of dollar on a guitar for you.

Do not underestamate the acoustic!

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member

When my son wanted to take guitar lessons his guitar teacher, who is old rocker from way back, made him a deal. He would teach him to play the acoustic primarily classical with the odd bit of pop/rock in there just to keep the interest for 2 years then he would teach him the how to play electric guitar. The theory being that if he knows the fret-board and a bit of theory before he picks up the electric, he will be a better musician. So maybe your dad is thinking along those lines. There could be a compromise position in there somewhere.

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The short answer is yes, you should get what you want to play.

Dad might be looking at the big picture in a few different ways, seeing you cranking your amp while disturbing the peace, an electric can get expensive with all the little add on's and GuitarNinja talked about one as did pbee.

Now, if the first two are true, you could calmly talk to him and explain that

While acoustics are quieter than an electric plugged in....... an electric hooked into an amp with a headphone jack is even quieter (or play without the amp at all).

Regarding the money, you can always get an electric starter pack for the same price as a beginner acoustic. I think most come with the tuner, strap, picks and more.

Try not to argue with him, it will make it easier for him to say no.

This message will self destruct in 5-4-3-2-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Here's what you do. You pick up your dad's acoustic, go up to your dad and say "I'm ready to learn................teach me how to do controlled feedback and some whammy bar techniques."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I agree with everyone, but I will add that if you spend a little time cranking out some accoustic rock, it WILL help you in the long run. It's not altogether so negative. Good luck, hope you get the electric soon!

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here's what you do. You pick up your dad's acoustic, go up to your dad and say "I'm ready to learn................teach me how to do controlled feedback and some whammy bar techniques."
This is truly sad how my mind works.....

Dad: Feedback, eh? If you ever talk to me like that again I'll.....

Child: Dad, what are you doing?

Dad: *takes acoustic from child

Child: NOOOOOO :shock:

Dad: WHAM!!!

Child: :cry:

Dad: Is there anything else you would like to learn today?

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Iggy,

My son and I both take guitar lessons (he's twelve), and both of us play the electrics most of the time. However, we did both start on acoustics.

I wanted to make sure my son was committed to practicing and sticking with the guitar before investing in an electric, so I had him keep track of all his practice time. Every time he practiced for a good 30 minutes, I'd commit $5 more to the purchase of an electric. I told him he needed to "earn" half the price of the electric in practice time.

In truth, I caved before he'd earned the entire half, :wink: but by that time, I wanted the electric as badly as he did. :lol: And he built a foundation of skill and commitment, too.

Maybe you could make some kind of a similar deal with your dad. Commit to, say, six months or a year of lessons on the acoustic, be sure you practice some almost every day, and in time you'll probably get your electric. And I'm guessing you'll grow to love the acoustic for its own sound, too.

BTW, one really nice thing about an acoustic is its total portability. You can take it absolutely anywhere, and I guarantee the chicks will dig it, too. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Margaret, you're so sensible. What are you doing hanging around the likes of us for????? :lol:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

This is truly sad how my mind works.....

Dad: Feedback, eh? If you ever talk to me like that again I'll.....

Child: Dad, what are you doing?

Dad: *takes acoustic from child

Child: NOOOOOO :shock:

Dad: WHAM!!!

Child: :cry:

Dad: Is there anything else you would like to learn today?
ROFL! :D

But back to the original issue ... I'd say your dad just wants to be sure you'll stick with it before shelling out the dollars only to have you throw in the towel again. Yeah, I know you were only in 2nd/3rd grade when you gave it up before, but I'm sure your dad remembers it like it was yesterday. ;)

I agree you should learn on the instrument that inspires you, but at the same time you're trying to get someone else to buy you that instrument; they are therefore partners in your investment and have good reason to be wary.

I'd say agree with your olds to start on the acoustic first, for the following reasons:

• NO financial outlay, other than lessons, new strings etc

• You'll develop greater strength quicker, not to mention the callouses

• It'll prove to your parents, and more importantly YOU, that you can stick with it (learning guitar is NOT a walk in the park)

• It'll make you a more rounded musician and give you knowledge/skills that will easily translate to electric

• MANY metal/rock songs can, and HAVE been, performed on acoustic

• Now I'm not necessarily saying that you should stick to the acoustic for 6-12 months necessarily. I reckon that if you put in 1-2 months that would be enough to prove to your parents that you're serious.

Good luck with however it goes. :)

EDIT:
    I wanted to make sure my son was committed to practicing and sticking with the guitar before investing in an electric
    Looks like Margaret had a similar theory, since she's been through it first hand. :D

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
    (@margaret)
    Noble Member

Bennett wrote: Looks like Margaret had a similar theory, since she's been through it first hand.
    Don't give me too much credit. I've spent a bundle on the whole guitar thing since Day 1.

We started first with the half-size guitar (Matt was probably about 9 and wanted a guitar for Christmas). It was a cruddy guitar and wouldn't stay in tune, so after a few months we moved up to an Ibanez classical acoustic. That's when I started taking lessons, too.

Next we found we liked steel string guitars, and had the callouses to be able to handle it, so we got a concert-size Ibanez. Well, then, in order for us to play together, we needed a second steel-string, so I got a solid mahogany Oscar Schmidt (it was a clearance-priced steal).

THEN we wanted an electric, so worked toward and got the Fender Hwy One Strat and practice amp.
    Then we needed a second electric, again to be able to play together, so got a used Hamer and a new MicroCube amp.

Getting the picture yet?? :lol:

This summer we went camping and I couldn't be without a guitar, but didn't want to subject any of the good ones to the heat and humidity, so I found a $50 beater acoustic on Craigslist.

Recently I decided to take up bass, so added an Ibanez bass and bass amp to the stable. Today I received our V-amp2. We can't fit a table in our dining room anymore. :lol:
    RParker wrote: Margaret, you're so sensible.
    Now you want to take that back, right?!

From all I've spent, you'd think I have some money. I don't. Just screwy priorities, I guess. :roll:

Iggy, sorry to hijack the thread. But in the name of balance I wanted to make the point that a convincing case could be made for starting out right from the get-go with what it is you really want, rather than the gradual escalation that some of us "sensible folk" have done.

However, you do already have an acoustic on hand, so I think it's reasonable to start there at least for your first little while. In the meantime, save some of your own money toward an electric and amp, and that'll help convince your dad of your commitment.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
    And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
    (@kblake)
    Reputable Member

Margaret,

Will you ADPOT me PLEEEEEEEEEASE... ok ok I am 47, but I really need a new guitar !

Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
    Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
     Bish
    (@bish)
    Famed Member

Iggy,

There is still one more approach you could point out.

When he says NO to the electric, you could come back with, "You know, dad, you may be right. I think I'd rather take up the drums." :shock:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
     geoo
    (@geoo)
    Famed Member

You should ABSOLUTELY get an electric.... when it your money its being bought with. Unfortunatly the truth is though that when its someone elses money or it is a gift you "cant always get what you want". Sometimes you get a crappy gift, sometimes a great one. An acoustic is probably somewhere in the middle ground for you.

That said, the other realistic part of this is that you are (IMHO) less likely to stay with it if your not able to play the things you enjoy with it. If I were your dad, I would purchase an inexpensive electric. In the long scheme of things there isnt that great of a price difference.

My oldest (12yo) has been begging for an electric bass since about March. I havent purchased him a thing until just this week. After begging for six months (and still wanting one) I feel like he will probably stick to it.. so this week I purchased him a beauty of an amp and we are on the search for a nice electric bass he can appreciate. For the last six month he played bass lines on a Fender acoustic we have.

But I'm not your dad so.. like some others have said.. (sort of) appreciate what he gets you and learn the heck out of it for six months or so and see if you cant get an electric..

Good luck

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
    Page 1 / 3