Signed: Not meant to play an electric

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So, there I was in my local guitar shop and this Light Ash Telecaster was staring me down. Gazing into my eyes. Wanting me and me wanting it back.. I convince the fellows behind the counter that I had enough money and desire to possible buy this beauty from them and they let me take her into the other room to run my fingers across her nice ash fretboard.

GAWD I sounded awful!!! Some of the stuff I play rather beautifully on my Ovation sounded terrible on this Fender Telly. The strings were so easy to bend I was easily going in and out of tune.

Could it be that I should stick with my acoustic and find songs to fit that style? I cant imagine being able to find the touch to play both babies and not come out all out of tune on the both of them.

Man she was pretty. Have her I will.. errmmm /exit jedi speech

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

(@twistedfingers)
Honorable Member

Get it. It'll take a few days but soon you'll be able to switch back and forth between the two without noticing the difference except maybe in the action.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a Ride!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

She requires a lite touch, If you take a heavy hand to her she will complain, treat her tenderly and she will reward you handsomely.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

She requires a lite touch, If you take a heavy hand to her she will complain, treat her tenderly and she will reward you handsomely.

Missleman , that goes with uh umm err ,almost every HER :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, get used to it. You'll feel comfortable within a few weeks at the max. Just takes some getitng used to. You will definitly be able to play on both (maybe not at the same time ;) )

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

Sounds like a problem I'd run into, except well, reverse (I have electric) I'd say it'd be good to have the knowledge of playing either/or. :)

Good Luck geoo
RagDoll

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

When I first got the electric, I felt like any time I touched it, I was making NOISE. And I turned the amp way down, and would only play in the best clean model I could find on my amp. Got a lot better with time, I can change between the two now without too much trouble (although my accoustic has been getting neglected :-( )

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@pilot)
Estimable Member

You'll find that playing the electric becomes much, much easier with just a little practice. The strength you've built up from fretting acoustic strings all this time makes it SO simple to barre and bend electric strings.

Also, the lighter touch needed on the electric will only help you improve your overall playing technique, which in turn will make your acoustic playing even better.

This is how I see it anyway :)

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

I just wanted to second what everyone else has already said. I played acoustic exclusively for a number of years. The first few times I tried my hand at electric, it sounded awful. But it gets better once you get a feel for it.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

GAWD I sounded awful!!! Some of the stuff I play rather beautifully on my Ovation sounded terrible on this Fender Telly. The strings were so easy to bend I was easily going in and out of tune.

Thats why you should get an electric. It will make a better guitar player out of you. Everything on an electric is amplified, especially your mistakes.

Electrics take getting used to. Yeah, you play with a lighter touch, and you have to learn how to control them. You must learn to mute the bad sounds with both hands.

Also, on electric you play more on 2 or 3 strings than strumming all 6 on an electric.

But get it. In no time you will learn how to get great sounds out of it. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Electrics amplify your mistakes? I was told they hide mistakes. I'm all confused now.

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Electrics amplify your mistakes? I was told they hide mistakes. I'm all confused now.
It depends. If you roll off all the tone or cut high frequencies at the amp you can hide mistakes.

On acoustics string buzzing and partially muted strings pop out as mistakes. On an electric string squeaks from dragging fingertips on the strings come out as well as strings tapping against frets when pushing them down, ect. If you've played both a lot you can spot what sticks out on both.
You'll develop a light touch as you practice on an electric more and more. Remember, it only takes the weight of your finger to fret. Be sure you're sticking your fingers right behind the frets, and be patient. It'll come together eventually.

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

OWA,
Some say the electric hides mistakes because of the distortion feature, where as with an acoustic, that isn't an option. But playing clean on an electric, your mistakes are amplified.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

oh my god. the first time I played an electric I practically ran from fear. it was LOUD. and my mistakes were worse.

after years of playing I dont want to run anymore. but electrics still make my mistakes LOUD.

onewing. you crack me up. you are brutally honest and open. it's great.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, well I wont actually NOT play an eletric because I am worried about making mistakes but I have to tell ya that it did kind of shock me. I used to play a Squire a while back and was ok with it but it was totally different with this Fender Telly. Seemed like the string would bend effortlessly.

I am still going to get one.. Not sure which yet. There are a handful of guitars now that I would like and frankly not enough money to buy any of them with Christmas to pay for.

Thanks for all the input.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2