Skip to content
Slight disability a...

Notifications
Clear all

Slight disability and learning the acoustic guitar...

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@lefty-stubbs)
Topic starter  

Hey guys. n00b here! I registered at acousticguitarforum.com. I recieved a nice little Ion acoustic electric guitar for xmas. The thing is, I'm missing the tips of both pinkies. I asked for a guitar, BTW, it's not a cruel joke ;). Supposedly my fingers are no big deal, but it means I have to learn how to play a little differently to start with. I got some great feedback over at AGF.com. But, I like forum banter. So, I figured I'd pipe up over here, too ;).

Strumming I'm okay with, It's fretting that's a little difficult. I'd prefer to play left handed but this guitar just won't convert that easily to lefty style play. My right hand has better dexterity, but I won't let either stop me. I picked up a brass slide yesterday and will be going after some finger picks in a day or so. I'll be playing "your way" as a righty for now ;). My left fretting hand ring finger is also a little odd looking but plenty usable. Being a new realm for me, it's kinda fun to go shopping for new stuff ;). The finger picks are high on my priority list as is an electronic tuner. I've got a pitch pipe but it just feels weird trying to tune to that thing. I still don't know my notes from holes in the ground, anyway ;).

Classes are in order, and so is plenty of practice. Anyone in the Denver area willing to show me some of the ropes?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Not knowing how much the extent of "missing the tips of the pinkies" is I can only guess to the first joint. Well anyway, the major limitation would be reaching a long distance when fretting and that is only limited to the extent of how far your fingers will ultimately reach. As far a fretting chords go there are lots of options there. There is no rule that you have to use the pinkie for every 3 or for that matter 4 finger chord so you could adapt to work around that. The pinkie is in fact the least used finger. Even finger picking you can use the pinkie when it will do the job and work around it when necessary.

And, if you are interested in slide then no problem at all from a fretting perspective.

Welcome to GN and feel free to ask any questions you have. There are a lot of good and knowledgeable people here.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Do yourself a huge favor and check Django Reinhard and his music.

A master of the guitar, one of the best jazz / gypsy players of all time. He could play some blazing stuff!

The thing is he was in a caravan fire in his teens and his hand was badly burned and disfigured and could only use two fingers on his fretting hand for the guitar, but he found away around it and was a MONSTER player!

good luck!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@lefty-stubbs)
Topic starter  

You're right. It's the upper knuckle that isn't there on either pinky. To me, it's just a speed bump in the learning curve :p.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Cool, thanks for the acousticguitarforum.com link. I'm always surprised when I find a new forum that has 100 or more "Currently Active Users." Because I'm so used to this one having 14. :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

Do yourself a huge favor and check Django Reinhard and his music.

A master of the guitar, one of the best jazz / gypsy players of all time. He could play some blazing stuff!

The thing is he was in a caravan fire in his teens and his hand was badly burned and disfigured and could only use two fingers on his fretting hand for the guitar, but he found away around it and was a MONSTER player!

good luck!

He was awesome!!!! :shock: :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Tune to Open G or D, put a slide on that pinky, and slide over to the "Slide and Alternate Tunings" forum. You won't be handicapped a bit! :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

Hi Lefty, I'm up in Thornton and do a bit of slide playing as well as regular stuff, drop me a note and we'll talk

Ron

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@rexlander)

It is great that you are learning the guitar. You may have to modify the way you play slightly from what is usually suggested, but there is no 'correct way' to play the guitar (though some think so). There is a local street proformer that I draw a lot of inspiration from. His strumming arm has been amputated above his elbow, and he has a small hook on the end of the stub. He uses this hook to pick and strum, and wow! is he ever good! I watch him play and think to myself, nothing stops him from playing, why should anything stop me (and not just for guitar playing)?

Keep your stick on the ice!

ReplyQuote
(@lefty-stubbs)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the feedback guys. Tele, we'll hafta get together and play a bit soon. I've got tomorrow off but I don't know if that's too short of a notice. I'll stop by guitar center and pick up a carrying bag and electric tuner. I used the amp for the first time last night and the thing came alive. For a $120 package this thing rocks!

As far as tuning for "my own sound" I'm looking for a bit deeper tone a la rock/blues. I read about using bone for the pins and something about "raising" the bridge for use of a slide. I can get good pressure on the strings, but as I slide up and down the neck the slide hits the frets. Trying it out on my pinky actually worked really really well! What I remember seeing was several guitarists with slides would press their ring finger over the slide on the pinky. That worked for me very well. The slide is flared a bit at one end. Having a big hand in the first place, the fat end went over my nub-let ;). For now that feels more controllable.

Wheee!

:)

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I have rehersal for my new band tomorrow night, I'll check with the Mrs. and see if we have anything planned for Sunday

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@lefty-stubbs)
Topic starter  

Just a few hours during the day on Sunday. It's all I ask. Being New Years Day, I bet (maybe) she's got ya all planned out though ;).

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Trying it out on my pinky actually worked really really well! What I remember seeing was several guitarists with slides would press their ring finger over the slide on the pinky. You don't "press" the string with the slide. You barely touch it, just enough to keep the slide in contact with the string so it doesn't buzz. Sliding's easier when you've got heavy, tight strings and a slightly higher action than many players use, but you don't need or want the action way up high, you still need to be able to fret. When you develop a good feel for where the slide needs to stop to be in contact with the string by "muscle memory," you can play slide with any guitar. My teacher always grabbed random new guitars off the music store racks to slide on.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tahitiijack)
Eminent Member

You can play a lot of major and minor chords barreing up and down the neck on the low E string and A string...power chords baby!

Happy Sunsets!

ReplyQuote