Clear all

slowing down music

24 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I tried to search but not sure what search terms to use. I would like to be able to slow down a song on a cd without a pitch change to better understand what's being played. I thought I'd read about cd players that can do this but not sure what they're called. I'm also wondering if there are any software programs that could do this function as many of my cd's are on my hard drive.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

(@fredramsey)
Estimable Member

Well, here's one solution:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-MP-GT1-Portable-MP3-Guitar-Trainer-104284690-i1174831.gc

Learning requires a willingness to be bad at something for awhile.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

I'm also wondering if there are any software programs that could do this function as many of my cd's are on my hard drive.

My 'Windows Media Player 9' does this. Do you use a different player?

ReplyQuote
(@frankyl)
Eminent Member

Audacity. It's a nice free program that does a lot of different fun stuff. You can use it to change either the speed or the pitch or to do other edits. I have it and use it.

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I agree about Audacity. I've used it to slow down a couple of songs for play-along practice, and also to do slight pitch changes on songs where the silly band insisted on recording half a step flat. That way I can play along without retuning my guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Well I'm gonna toss guitar pro 5 out there. It doesn't play cds but tons of songs for it and you change it to any speed you like.

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

I have been looking for the same thing just this past week. This is the software I came up with so far (all of it is Windows based). The best overall program just for slowing down songs is BestPractice ( http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/ . It's free, but donations are welcomed. It can slow down MP3's files as well as control the playing of a song straight from the CD (many programs only handle MP3's). The other is SPT-667 Phrase Trainer. It has a slick interface. It can store loops so you can practice specific parts of a song over and over. It looks like it only handles ripped music, so you would need to convert your songs to MP3's. It costs about $31 and you can download a trial copy at http://www.desktopmetronome.com/ .

I'll post back if I find anything else.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The first program I knew of that would do this is "The Amazing Slow Downer." Still available, and still great. The functionality's been added to a lot of other things now.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

mTrax. Cost $30 to download. Download the free trial...it's incredible.

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the suggestions. The portable units sound interesting but a little pricey.........

I've got the windows system so I'll check out the media player; never occured to me to look at that.

I'll also look at the other software. Can always use an education on what's out there.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jim

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@twsteffen)
Eminent Member

I believe Audacity is perfect for what you are trying to do. You can open the MP3, or record just part of the song in audacity. Select the section you want to edit, then you can use the built in tools to adjust the properties. There are addons that give you like 80 options to change, if you get really into it.

The ones you would want to use are either Speed or Tempo. Ill often record part of a song I am trying to learn, slow the tempo way down, and then repeat it 20 times. This way I can play the same part over and over again until I get it, and then speed it up as needed.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The nicest feature of Audacity is that it's free.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The nicest feature of Audacity is that it's free.

Free's better than cheap! 8)
I believe Audacity is perfect for what you are trying to do.

I'm getting that impression from reading their web page.

Thanks

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I use the Amazing Slow Downer

It slows it down/speeds it up in key, can change the pitch, makes it so you can loop one small part, cut a small clip from a song & is easy to use.

The other one may be free, but I like the way this one works.

best $45 bucks I've spent in a while.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I use the Pacemaker plugin for Winamp

Another Winamp plugin that is handy is Loopmaster, which will loop a section of a song.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2