Clear all

slowing down music

24 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I looked at media player and it does slow down music. However, it's sound is so bad as you approach 50% that I had trouble using it.

I DL'd the demo of the Amazing Slow Downer and really liked it. The sound was very good even when very slow. John Lee Hooker sounded like he was on serious downers....... :lol: I'm going to play with it some more before deciding whether to buy or not but it might be worth it.

For those that suggested Guitar Pro; a couple of questions (although off topic):

If I were to send GP a drum pattern (standard midi I believe), can I edit it?

If I were to send guitar midi to GP, it could then be printed out in standard notation/ tab?

Thanks,

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

For those that suggested Guitar Pro; a couple of questions (although off topic):

If I were to send GP a drum pattern (standard midi I believe), can I edit it?

If I were to send guitar midi to GP, it could then be printed out in standard notation/ tab?

Thanks,
GP can import a MIDI file and turn that into a tab (and standard notation), which it can then play back, save, edit, modify, transpose, cut-n-paste or print out as you wish.
If the MIDI file has multiple instrument tracks, GP will extract those as separate tracks in it's format, and will create tab for each track. (it will ask which tracks to import, and allow you to pick any, or all)

GP can also capture notes from a MIDI instrument (assuming your computer has a MIDI connection) and make those notes into TAB, but it doesn't (at least not that I can find) capture note duration and dynamics, only the notes themselves).
This limitation is only for capturing from a MIDI instrument. Importing from a file captures note duration, slurs, dynamics and everything.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@number6)
Estimable Member

I'm going to second Winamp with Pacemaker and Loopmaster. Pacemaker has much better sound quality then Audacity.

The hunger site. Click once a day to give free food.

ReplyQuote
(@crackerjim)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Kent, thanks for the info.

Number6 - the name winamp seems familiar but don't recall much about it. How does it (with the plugin's) sound compared to the amazing slow downer?

Jim

Jim

ReplyQuote
(@tyler-n)
Trusted Member

sorry to intrude on your thread, I really didn't want to start a new thread with this music theory nubie question i had.

If I may....

Hello can anyone look at these two pieces I just came up with, im only starting to learn musical notation and was stumped if these two are identical? would it be played the same? arent they the same??!

tempo 160
4/4 time
1 measure has 8 8th notes

&

tempo 80
4/8 time
1 measure has 8 8th notes

= again dont mean to intrude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TxmW-rIGFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAvejpRYsQM
my idol

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

How good is Audacity compared to The Amazing Slowdowner?

Has anyone used both?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

the name winamp seems familiar but don't recall much about it. How does it (with the plugin's) sound
I find the Winamp/Pacemaker combo sounds good down to about 25% reduction in speed, below that some long held notes start sounding a bit choppy, but that depends on the song and how the MP3 was encoded.

At 50% reduction it can sound a bit odd, but it's still quite usable as a tool to figure out a strange picking pattern.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

How good is Audacity compared to The Amazing Slowdowner?

Has anyone used both?

I use Amazing Slowdowner all the time and have used Audacity. There's no contest as far as I'm concerned. Personally, I think Audacity does a very poor job of this. To me, the sound really distorts and becomes garbled and unlistenable in Audacity (as well as other free programs I've used for this) whereas in ASD, the sound stays clear no matter what. It's not free, but I've never regretted paying for it. You get what you pay for. I believe you can download a free trial version of ASD to see if you like it.

ReplyQuote
(@billyboy)
Estimable Member

Greetings eveyone-

Stumbled on this site and not gotten any work done for two hours..going on three. :)

" http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-MP-G ... 1174831.gc"

Besides slowing MP3 downs this unit says it removes the guitar part(s). Often wondered if there were devices software that could mask remove guitar parts, as that would greatly help practicing. Question is does it work and how? Does it remove tracks filter out frequencies? Does the rest of the sound quality suffer at all?

Just curious if anyone used the above, or anything else, that actually works.

Cheers

"In my dreams your blowin' me... some kisses" - Lets Duet - Dewford Randolph Cox

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2