Notifications
Clear all

So when do you know if something is to advanced

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@masterhobbit896)
Topic starter  

Simple question sort of. I just started working on Rock Anthem for Saving the World (Its off the Halo soundtrack) which is a tad bit ahead of me but I think if I stick with it I'll eventually get it. But is it better to learn songs that your more capable of playing or what? Am I wasting time on something thats to ahead of me? :?

(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

I wouldn't worry. Eventually you'll get it. Depending on the pace you learn at, that could be quick, or it could be quite a while. Were I you, I'd work on other songs as well. There's no reason not to work on a difficult song if you enjoy it, but you shouldn't focus on one song exclusively for too long. I've got lots of music I'm not good enough to play yet lting around. I work on one of the songs when it catches my interest for a little while, and I give it a rest when I don't feel like trying to climb that mountain. Each time I play it, I play it better, so it's not like I'm not getting something out of it. Also, working on difficult songs can let you know which skills need the most intensive work. One you identify those, you can work them up from a more basic level.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll say Hi and welcome.

Paul makes some great points. if need be practice a few bars one day then add a few more the next. Another thing maybe break the song down in little pieces, one day work on figuring out the just the hard parts, sometimes then the easy parts will fall into place.

Just a thought.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

I'm trying to teach my daughter how to read. We sit down with a book, and she only wants to read the words she already knows, she doesn't even want to try the challenging words.

OK this probably sounds pointless by now, but what I'm trying to say, and what I've tried to explain to her is this. If you don't try to read the big words, you'll never learn them. You can play things that you are comfortable with for the rest of your life, but if you never challenge yourself with things that are "above" your level, then you will never get above the level that you are already at.

ReplyQuote
(@slydog)
Reputable Member

Or as I was once told, if you never fall while skiing, you're not pushing yourself enough to really improve.

Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down.

ReplyQuote