Clear all

soar finger tips

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

if my finger tips start getting real soar, should i put it up for a day or two till their not?

I practiced last night for a good while, but went to try some more today and sheesh, i could barely hold down the strings they were so soar.

SLODOGG62

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

just play as often as you can...the first few months are terribly tough on the fingers...its a right of passage we've all been through

soon enough you will have nice hard pads [callouses] and your muscles will have adapted too...it really does take time and patience i'm afraid

no easy answers......but it will help if your guitar is set up correctly and you have light weight strings....your local music store can do all the work for little money

good luck

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Booneville where Sloddog? What state?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Yeah, sore fingertips come with the territory. Even after you've been playing for a while you'll over do it now and then and end up with a sore spot. I'd been fine for months, then a few days ago a callous got worn off of my little finger and I spend a couple days with that finger feeling tender. Keep at it for a while and your fingers will toughen up.

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Hi slodogg, and welcome to GN. As stated before, the pain is natural in the beginning. Like ballybiker said, it's sort of a right of passage. I would try to play as often as possible for shorter periods of time rather than try to play through the pain and then not play for a couple of days. We play with calloused finger tips, not blistered ones.

Denny

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

You'll really be surprised how quickly your fingers begin to callous up! One thing you ought to know, though, is that, as you first begin to build your callouses, they will start "peeling" off. This is completely natural. It will probably happen half a dozen times or so before you've built up enough of a "base" to turn them into "pads".

Personally, I never went more than a day without playing at least "some". IMHO, if you wait more than that, (i.e. 2 or 3 days) you're only going to increase the amount of time that you're going to feel that pain. In other words, it's going to take you longer to build up those all important callouses!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

Just play it through is good advice. I did the same, just cut down the length of practice, not the regularity and that may help some.

just some passed down knowledge:

Its never a question of if, but when the callous form. I read on here once that to help prevent callous "burrs", which sometimes leads to the loss of the callouses. Mine used to catch on my shirts and even one strings at one point.
Buy a cosmetic nail sander at a really fine grit (very inexpensive--Wal-mart .99). You got it, sand those callous where you start to feel burrs and such. Been doing it for a while keep them smooth without cracks and I have the most gorgeous callouses you could see. LOL

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You got it, sand those callous where you start to feel burrs and such. Been doing it for a while keep them smooth without cracks and I have the most gorgeous callouses you could see. LOL

I use my callouses INSTEAD of sandpaper - get a lovely smooth finish!!!!

One thing no-one's mentioned yet, once you've got those callouses, it's important to keep them....practise every day!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If they bleed wait till it's fixed, for the rest just go. Saor fingers make your beard grow.

ReplyQuote
(@kosmos)
Eminent Member

If your fingers are so soar I would skip a day to allow your fingers to adjust so to speak, but as they say "if you want to play the blues you've got to pay your dues"!

"Sometimes you wonder, I mean really wonder. I know we make our own reality and we always have a choice, but how much is pre-ordained?"

John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

Just keep at it. The fingertips is the one type of pain from playing you don't have to worry about. If I take even a 3 day break from playing, then do a 3 hour session, my fingers get a little soor. :D

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

soar fingers are good, i don't know about sore fingers though!

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

I wear a glove on my left hand when washing dishes... and have to think in advance if i'll want to pick up a guitar within an hour or so of taking a shower, and adjust my shower times accordingly....

Otherwise I'll shred those soggy, wet callouses to pieces ;)

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I wear a glove on my left hand when washing dishes... and have to think in advance if i'll want to pick up a guitar within an hour or so of taking a shower, and adjust my shower times accordingly....

Otherwise I'll shred those soggy, wet callouses to pieces ;)

Ha, I have the perfect excuse - "sorry love, I'd help with the washing up but I've got a song to work out/practise/record - you wouldn't want me to rip my callouses off now would you...."

and this is a family forum, so I'm not even going to THINK about posting any of the replies I get to that.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@jminor)
Estimable Member

this is a family forum, so I'm not even going to THINK about posting any of the replies I get to that.....

Sounds like you'd have more than just your callouses ripped off. :)

Insert random quote here

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2