Notifications
Clear all

soar finger tips

21 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

I find playing bass makes different parts of my fingers sore than playing guitar, especially on my right hand (I don't really play much fingerstyle with guitar but bass I try to remain exclusively finger style...), I discovered that when I clip my nails real short my fingers get sore very easy, the skin pushes up against the tip of the nail instead of under it... I don't know if that's something that'll go away or if I just need to leave a certain amount of extra nail there to avoid it, but I just play despite the soreness and after a few minutes it kind of goes away.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've found the same thing going from instrument to instrument. I had great callouses built up for guitar, then I got a mandolin and had to form a whole new set of callouses, then I got a bass and had to form a whole new set of callouses, then I got a dulcimer and, you guessed it, had to form a whole new set of callouses!! I'm set now, though! (Until I decide to learn something interesting again!!)

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I still have problems with my left hand index finger after 8ish months. Its callous is for whatever reason not as thick as the others. Heck I have a better callous on my pinky! I try to mix up my playing/practicing. It seems at times I'm practicing a particular chord progreesion and the index finger will get string indents in it from holding the same chord down. The callous is isolated to a small area on the very tip of my finger.

Any thoughts from the veterans?

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

My first thought is that you are using an extremely tight grip with your index finger?

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

My first thought is that you are using an extremely tight grip with your index finger?

It very well could be. I'm having issues with my guitar. The neck is not straight and the tech has adjusted it the he can. The strings at the 12 fret are high and the at the 1st and 2nd fret, the B and E strings are really close and they tend to buzz.

Time for a new guitar! :)

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
 Slid
(@slid)

I found soaking fingertips in alcohol (rubbing alcohol) help sooth the discomfort in my fingers when I started. I believe I read that on here in another post much like this one. Basically just keep playing, takes time. Only way to get them where they dont hurt anymore is to play though. I like the guy who says if they arnt bleeding... keep playing... Love it :)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2