Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

Soloing Over Drums?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Sorry I didn't put this in the Hear Hear forum but I have a beginner question about soloing over drums. This isn't a "Hey listen to what I can do." post.

I have been trying to practice short "solo" riffs with my drum maching and I want to see if I am on or off tempo. It's funny, when I practice the solos without the drums I hit every note cleanly...as soon as the drum machine comes on (or recording software) I miss notes...anyway these are both my first attempts a soloing:

Solo at 92bpm

Solo at 75bpm

Please be patient when listening...there is some "empty space" with only the drums playing...I think I did each solo 3 times in each recording. The second recording I think the last attempt is best....

thanks

(@Anonymous)

OK..this is just me messing around with these 2 licks...it's not musically sound but I think I am at least on beat! We all have to start somewhere I guess!

Mike's Messy Lead

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

A little bit of that and a little bit of something else. I think there are parts that sound off tempo (a lot of people get nervous when recording and speed some parts up so just relax! :evil: ) . But, more importantly is I think you've selected an improper beat for that kind of a solo. Part of the work of being a drummer is making a beat that's true to the song. I'd suggest something with a little more consistency in it and maybe a little quicker (doesn't mean your guitar work has to be quicker.) Work with it though and find something that works for you.

These are just notes from "Mike's messy solo" by the way. I didn't listen to the other tracks. If I were you I'd let those last notes really ring out when you go higher. Bend the hell out of them and let them sustain!

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@mr-scary)

Hey Man I thought you did well with both tries! :D The faster one is not as good as the slower one. The slower one sounds more on beat, than the faster one.

I have been playing drums for 22 years, and have just started learning the guitar my self.

I have found practicing as you have, with a drum machine helps alot.

What I do, is I play what ever I'm going to play at a slow pace lets say 80bpm and make SURE that I sound every note cleanly on the guitar. (your notes sound very clean by the way) If I find a speed where my notes are not clean sounding and/or not on time with the drum machine I STOP right there, and work till I get it right. Then I start moving up to speed.

Of course this is MHO, :D Keep working on it bro, as I will, maybe we will meet on stage somewhere!

Music........she has always loved me, never left me, and always will be with me.

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I don't like saying this but no, you are not on the beat. If this is your first solo attempt then good on you, well done but you need to practice it to get the feel right. You have chosen a difficult beat for a first attempt and I get a feeling you aren't feeling it properly.

This beat is a shuffle which is probably a bit more difficult as it has a triplet feel. When the click starts at the beginning count along with it like this.. 1 da da 2 da da 3 da da 4 da da and then play the guitar trying to lock into that, do it as slow as you have to and start on a one string repeated pattern until you feel really comfortable before switching strings. (accenting each quarter note helps here as well).

I think you are doing a great thing by posting the samples and you should get there real quick.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanksfor the replies guys! I figured since I was doing a bluesy solo the shuffle would be the way to go...I could set a rock beat which might sound better...

These are just my first attempts at soloing. I honestly never thought I was ready for soloing yet only playing for less than 5 months...but I found these licks in the Guitat For Dummies book and with the "Mike's Messy Solo" I just fooled around with the notes. I already know that scale so adding notes wasn't a problem...

Choosing a drum beat is difficult. My first thought was tempo...I need something that I can handle but also made the solo sound right. However I like working with the drum machine over a metronome any day!

I alway get nervous posting sound samples of my playing because there is always someone who just says "NO...it's terrible!" with no helpful explanation as to what I could do better. These tips were great! When I get home from work I'll try them out!

I'd appreciate many more tips!

Thanks

ReplyQuote