Clear all

Something weird

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was in a guitar shop this weekend looking around and killing some time. I saw a cool acoustic cutaway that I wanted to play since I only have an electric guitar. I was expecting to have some slight buzzing and etc since I only play electric. I was amazed to play great, maybe even better than on my electric. I want to know how this can be. The strings felt great under my fingers. Should I try a higher gauge string? Im playing .95's right now and Ive played 10's before should I try 11's? Please help

Shibby

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Reading your post it sounds like you are saying your electric was more difficult to press the strings. One possibility is that the neck on an acoustic is wider than an electric and has more space between the strings which makes them easier to fret without hitting the surrounding strings.

OR

It may simply be that the acoustic was set up well and your electric isn't. Just for the heck of it check the string height at the 12th fret without pressing any strings. Check it both on the high and low E and let us know what it is.

On an average the low E should be about 5/64's and the high E should be around 3/64's

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@shibby)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

No they are not harder to fret. I can play my electric fine. Sometimes the strings seem to wiggle out from under my finger. And on acoustic they dont... Anyway to replicate

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Sorry about that, I misunderstood your question/comment.

The simple answer is yes, you could go with a thicker set of strings to get the same feel as the acoustic. You will probably also need to raise the action a little so they don't buzz.

Remember though that if you go higher than 10's you will have to make adjustments to the nut for the thicker strings or the strings will bind or even break the nut. Probably also a truss rod adjustment for the change in tension, and probably have to adjust the intonation to compensate also. Pretty much a full setup will be needed.

Hopefully others that went with 11's or thicker on an electric will also chime in with their experience. I use 10's on the electric and 12's on the acoustic and have pretty much gotten use to the change. Tried 9's on the electric and it was too soft of a feel going back and forth between the two.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote