Clear all

Song Structure

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Many words occur frequently in the SSG and the Songwriting Forum pertaining to the song structure.I almost always get confused over their usage.

Eg. What do they mean , when they say Intro , Chorus , Verse , Prelude , Interlude , Bridge etc...

So please explain the above terms w.r.t a song (eg. Sweet child of mine , or , Take me home country roads , or , Comfortably numb...)

Rahul

(@davidhodge)

This might help get you started:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=8

As for some of the others:

Prelude - often means "introduction"

Interlude - usually a short musical passage between a verse, often if there are two verses before the chorus comes in. Quite often just a run through of the main chord progression. Good example of this is between the verses of the Wallflowers' One Headlight

Bridge - a section that can't be defined as either verse or chorus. Usually it's different musically as well. Usually shows up after the second verse/chorus of a song in order to give the ears a break. In Take Me Home Country Roads, it's the "...I hear her voice in the morning..." part.

One of the things to remember is that many people have different names for what is essentially the same thing. It depends on how you were taught and also on how you like to look at things. What many people will call a "prechorus" I will think of as part of the chorus. To me it makes more sense to have fewer parts. But it also depends on how intricately the song is structured and how easily you want to be able to explain it to someone else.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote