Songs for 3-4 guitarists?

24 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@tabmow)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,
The guys I jam with are a varied bunch, ranging in skill level from beginner to "locked himself in his room for his teenage years and slept with his telecaster" master shredder, but we pick songs that we can all have fun with... However, lately, there's been 3-4 electric guitarists showing up (plus bass player, plus drummer), so I'm wondering if anyone has good suggestions for bands with 2-3 different guitar parts?
It gets kinda boring with 3 or 4 guitarists sometimes since we're all playing the same chords (sure some of us will play open chords, some barre, etc.. i know that stuff).

I'm just wondering if anyone has band or song suggestions with multiple guitar parts - we play mostly rock, classic rock, blues, but open to anything. Just curious.

Thanks.

(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I know a lot a Pink Floyd has at least 3 guitar parts. The song "Breathe" comes to mind. Not sure if that fits your style or not.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I know the feeling and unfortunately don't have any suggestions. I jam every Friday with a bunch of guys and that seems to be the problem alot.

But all they want to do is come in play the songs we already know and drink a little beer. I think we need to actually sit down and work on some sort arrangement so we aren't always just playing the same thing.

Tuff I don't have any good answers.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

First three albums of Radiohead.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here are a few suggestions, Capo up and change keys, 1 of you has to get an acoustic, 1 of you plays lead, try some arpeggios. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

A large portion of the Stones songs from the late 60's on have 3 or more guitar parts. Usually alongthe lines of 1 guitar in Standard tuning, 1 in an open tuning (G or E), a nashville strung 6 sting or an overdriven acoustic. Also just about anything CSN&Y

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@tabmow)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks - I really appreciate all the suggestions! A couple of problems though:

1) Radiohead is out, because apparently all music stopped after 1985 for one of our senior guitarists. We're working on changing his mindset (wow, we tried something wild and crazy like "Foo Fighters" recently and he didn't explode) but it's a slow battle.

2) Lynrd Skynrd is forbidden ;)

3) We've done some Pink Floyd but I'm not a big fan :D

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

The Eagles always seem to manage to sneak about 7 guitars on stage towards the end of a gig... :wink:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Allman Brothers Band! :wink:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" springs immediately to mind.....

A trick the Stones used a few times in the studio was to have one guitar play a riff - electric, maybe using the top 3-4 strings - and for another guitar to play the same riff on acoustic, and yet another guitar to play powerchords to flesh out the sound a little.....Brown Sugar's a good example....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

"Open to anything" but not Skynyrd, Radiohead, or anything newer than 1985...? That's the toughest part about big groups - finding common ground.

Southern Rock has a lot of multi-guitar songs. Eagles as mentioned, also Doobie Brothers.

I also agree that having an acoustic and distorted electric playing the same chords works well - Boston, Led Zep, the Who, etc.

And you could have two guitars play the same line, but shifted a 4th or something, sounds great. Someone more experienced can explain it better than I.

ReplyQuote
(@tabmow)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

"Open to anything" but not Skynyrd, Radiohead, or anything newer than 1985...? That's the toughest part about big groups - finding common ground.

Sorry, i should have specified.. *I* am open to anything. Some of the other guys I play with aren't :(
I agree - it is a very hard part finding common ground.
Southern Rock has a lot of multi-guitar songs. Eagles as mentioned, also Doobie Brothers.

I also agree that having an acoustic and distorted electric playing the same chords works well - Boston, Led Zep, the Who, etc.

And you could have two guitars play the same line, but shifted a 4th or something, sounds great. Someone more experienced can explain it better than I.

Thanks for the suggestions that you & others have had. I will definitely try some of them.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

The Rolling Stones would be great.

ReplyQuote
(@barryo)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2